Rhino line dye?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burnham

Burnham

ArboristSite Operative
I recently acquired a 300' spool of Rhino throw line. When I spooled a few feet off to check it out I got orange dye smeared all over my hands. I then ran several feet of it repeatedly through a clean rag held in my hand , and it never did quit leaving a strong orange mark, like writing with a crayon or magic marker. I'd rather not get orange dye all over my gear, and I wonder when it gets wet whether I'd really have a mess. I've thought about washing the whole line...
So at this point I haven't messed with it any more and am wondering if anyone has used this throw line and has anyone had this problem.

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
What is that stuff made of? I am guessing it's high-modulus modern line like vectran, technora, kevlar, etc. I know that many coatings don't like to stay on. I have a bit of vectran line in stock that has a clear coating on it and after splicing it, you can feel it all over your hands, though you can't see it!

I bet with use it'd eventually wear away, but until then, I bet you're stuck with it. If you wash it, I bet it'll get like....fluffy, and it'll snag a lot when you're throwing with it.

These are just guesses.

love
nick

Latest posts