Rim Sprocket Wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say that sprocket is long past needing to be replaced.

My ms290 ran the last 5 years before I sold it with the same rim sprocket. It looked a hell of a lot better then what is in your picture. That looks like if the chain was loose it could skip in the sprocket.

"To maintain the service life of your saw chain, STIHL recommends that you replace the sprocket on your chainsaw after you have gone through two chains or sooner if the sprocket shows more than 0.5 mm of wear. STIHL advises alternating between the two saw chains to help keep the sprocket from wearing out prematurely."
Another idea:
"Look closely at the teeth of the sprocket for signs of a groove or notches. The teeth are supposed to be smooth and consistent. If you noticed that there is a groove worn in the teeth and the chain will not rotate consistently smooth, it's time to replace the sprocket."

That’s pretty extreme!

My gut was to replace this one, but the reason I’m asking is that it’s not immediately clear where the ok/replace line is, and I’d like to know.

I believe the ok/replace line or wear indicator (small notch above and below) has been worn away for some time .

"...Then there's the bar..."
Truer words were never spoken, Captain. The last two sprockets I replaced (one rim and one tooth) had both succeeded in letting the chain(s) just about ruin the bar(s). I redressed both bars and shook my head while doing it. Both were in questionable condition.
Bars are reasonable these days. Oregon is tops. ARCHER is out of Australia, and the USA distributor, Minor Karnes, and his Son, will work with anyone.

When those indicator lines disappear it's time to replace them.
The groove on the left (where your thumb is) still has some line visible but the one on the right is worn past the line.
I would replace.
Just like the GBar should be flipped every once in a while,
so too the rim sprocket.
That way you don't only get longer life & even wear, but also get a chance to inspect the components for burrs, hairline cracks respectively.

Latest posts

Back