Rim sprocket- which way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagull369

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just a quick question to ask. I'm replacing the rim sprocket on my 034 and mixed up the direction it's supposed to go on. The part has writing cast on one side ("3/8-7"), and a flower-like design on the other.. Would anyone happen to know the correct way it installs? Writing (or flower) facing the saw or away from it? I imagine this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for the help .

I put them writing to the outside, but I don't think it makes any difference.

Wrap a chain around it both ways, if it seats all the way down both ways, the its fine.

Sam

I always install a new rim sprocket with the writing facing away from the saw body. Always try to remember which way you take off a used rim so you can reinstall it the same way if it is still usable...................:msp_thumbup:

Wow, talk about your fast reply times! :blob2:

Yea the chain seems to engage just fine on there either way but thought I might be missing something...

Thanks again =)

I recall it may matter on some older Stihl saws (and suspect it has to do with the oil pump?). Not all rims will fit on them, despite the spline/hub size is correct? :msp_unsure:

Letters Out Probably

Oregon shows it with letters out:

RimSprocket.jpg

I imagine it would work either way.

Ive never given it much thought. Always installed letters out, and most that Ive pulled have been the same.

I think I've read somewhere in Stihl literature that it's cavities out. And I think it must be for trash clearance. But I've never known anyone to think it made any difference.

I recall it may matter on some older Stihl saws (and suspect it has to do with the oil pump?). Not all rims will fit on them, despite the spline/hub size is correct? :msp_unsure:

Well that makes some sense... When I bought one last the dealer had one that would work (I am actually running it) but it is made different than the original. If I recall the only saw the rim PN crossed to was a 056 (but don't quote me on the model). All other saws called for the PN I had. Always wondered why, the oil pump thing seems logical. So... the 056 rim works on other saws, but wouldn't work the other way around likely.

Odd that the Stihl literature says cavities out, as every one I have pulled the cover on has lettering out. Maybe the dud at the factory should read the literature. :msp_sneaky:

dw

Last edited:
Well that makes some sense... When I bought one last the dealer had one that would work I am actually running it) but it is made different than the original. If I recall the only saw the rim PN crossed to was a 056 (but don't quote me on the model). All other saws called fro the PN I had. Always wondered why, the oil pump thing seems logical. So... the 056 rim works on other saws, but wouldn't work the other way around likely.

Odd that the Stihl literature says cavities out, as every one I have pulled the cover on has lettering out. Maybe the dud at the factory should read the literature. :msp_sneaky:

dw

I believe you are right about it being the 056, and what I highlighted in the quote - but it could have been other models a well, for all I know? :msp_smile:

Last edited:
Just for the record, I wrote Stihl and here's what they said:

"We are in receipt of and thank you for your email. The writing should face outward."

Just for the record, I wrote Stihl and here's what they said:

"We are in receipt of and thank you for your email. The writing should face outward."

Well good, I have been doing it right all along. Now that's one more thing I can check off of my list of things to worry about, LOL.

Sam

Intuitively I would think the writing, 3/8", 7, would be towards the outside. Makes sense, that way you can see what it is just by removing the side cover. Its that way on my Stihl.

Intuitively I would think the writing, 3/8", 7, would be towards the outside. Makes sense, that way you can see what it is just by removing the side cover. Its that way on my Stihl.

Excellent theory.

What if the saw manufacturers started placing the labels and stickers on the inside of the covers.

So you make a great point there.

Sam

Latest posts

Back