Rim sprocket- which way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always assumed that it could go either way. That way you could flip it over now and then to even out wear. I thought that was one of the benefits of using a rim sprocket. Guess I was wrong.

I always assumed that it could go either way. That way you could flip it over now and then to even out wear. I thought that was one of the benefits of using a rim sprocket. Guess I was wrong.

:msp_w00t: The wear on the circumference will be exactly the same, regardless which way you run it!

:msp_w00t: The wear on the circumference will be exactly the same, regardless which way you run it!

And that is all the matters, once you squish that down the bottom of the drive links start to hit and you will start mushrooming your drive links edges and then wallow out your bar ............ sprockets are cheap, replace them every now and then.

Sam

all the stihl rims i seen don't have the cut outs on the side,they got a hole in the bottom of the drive link slot which is blocked by the drive spline ,i run the oem rims either way with no probs

I've never noticed much life difference between "cheap" sprockets or OEM/Stihl sprockets. Sprockets are like bar oil for me, I get the cheapest I can get, because I've yet to really see a difference between the best and the rest.

Stihl bar oil is the best, but it also is next to printer ink in cost per fluid ounce, Tractor Supply's bar oil is 1/3 the price and I seem to get just the same amount of life out of bars and chains............... if not, I could buy another set of bars and chains for the difference in oil prices. That is how I classify the sprocket issue.

Sam

Back