Rim Sprockets on a Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nassin2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what the advantage of using different sizes of rim sprockets are? I have a Stihl 044 w/ a muffler mod, 20 inch bar, RSC chain and a 7 tooth rim sprocket. Is there any advantage to stepping up to say an 8 or 9 tooth sprocket? Thanks

that saw will take the 8 tooth well with the 20" bar. the 9 tooth is just too big. i even tried the 9 tooth with a 16" bar for competition. just too much.

I'm just curious what the advantage of using different sizes of rim sprockets are? I have a Stihl 044 w/ a muffler mod, 20 inch bar, RSC chain and a 7 tooth rim sprocket. Is there any advantage to stepping up to say an 8 or 9 tooth sprocket? Thanks
well, its not like its gonna cost you an arm and a leg too find out. my 460 just seems better all around with a 7 pin but I dont use it much till the trees get bigger than 18" or so. with the bar buried in oak its easy too bog with the 8 pin.

well, its not like its gonna cost you an arm and a leg too find out. my 460 just seems better all around with a 7 pin but I dont use it much till the trees get bigger than 18" or so. with the bar buried in oak its easy too bog with the 8 pin.

Well there's my answer. I cut a lot of hard wood so I'll just keep the 7 pin on there and keep cuttin'. Thanks for the info.

that saw will take the 8 tooth well with the 20" bar. the 9 tooth is just too big. i even tried the 9 tooth with a 16" bar for competition. just too much.

That is my experience.

Thing to remember about the bigger rims is that it is only one pin bigger, but as a ratio to power the engine produces it starts to drop off steeply. This is why you can see a saw that runs well with a seven, works decent with an eight and just stalls with a nine.

Mr. HE:cool:

Be sure to let us know how it works, what you learn, and post pictures and/or videos.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back