Ring End Gap Position?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisAdam45

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Forgive the newbie question but does it matter where the ring end gap ends up? It seems to me like if it travels over a port the free ends of the ring could stick out a little bit and hang up on the port. Is there a best way to point it? This is on a 288XP.
Thanks.

Good observation about the ring end catching in a port

Some more observation will reveal a pin down through the ring groves on the intake side of the piston.

This is where your ring gap goes

There should be some kind of mark on the piston top that is suppose it point towards the exhaust. There should be pins in the ring grooves that show where the ends should go, which should be more towards the intake side.

Most of the "modern" saws do indeed have locating pins for the ring end gaps, but many older saws to not. When I run in to one of those vintage saws without pins, I try to locate the end gaps 90-120° apart and if possible, away from any ports. Since there are no locating pins, I am not sure the rings don't move around a bit on their own anyway.

Mark

Good question.

What about when the piston has no alignment pin - like some older saws? I've tried to place the gap in an area that gives the most distance from the intake and exhaust ports, but sometimes the ends work their way around to a port.

Most of the old saws without pinned rings had the ports divided up into small sections so the ring would not catch?

Back