Rip roaring ready to go!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
At long last, after about 5 months of getting the pieces together, I'm ready to start my first milling tomorrow!! I've revived an old Stihl 051 from ebay and put a 36" bar on it to go with a 36" Alaskan mill.

I'm headed to my grandfather's tonight where he has a big pile of walnut, cherry, pecan, pear, ash, etc. waiting for me.

But man oh man, that chainsaw is heavy once you put the long bar on it. My arms were tired after holding it for a couple minutes and trying to adjust the carb. I'm glad it's going on the Alaskan (which, of course, adds another 20 lb. for a total of 50 lb.).

Quick question...how do I know if I have the high speed adjustment screw right on the saw? I read instructions on it, but had trouble telling it if was in the "sweet spot". I turned it one turn out, as per the service manual, and it seems to do pretty well there. It accelerates nicely and returns to idle fairly quickly. It also gives off a little bit of visible smoke at WOT. Does that sound right? I know I want it a little on the rich side for milling.

Thanks!
--Tyler

051_1.jpg

Back out the high speed screw until the saw starts to run ruff.That will be good to go.:) Also use more oil in the gas.Mark

Last edited:
Quick question...how do I know if I have the high speed adjustment screw right on the saw? I read instructions on it, but had trouble telling it if was in the "sweet spot". I turned it one turn out, as per the service manual, and it seems to do pretty well there. It accelerates nicely and returns to idle fairly quickly. It also gives off a little bit of visible smoke at WOT. Does that sound right? I know I want it a little on the rich side for milling.
The 051/076 have a carb limiter, so you won't be able to set the H screw by ear (it won't be hitting the revs). You need to do timed cuts and go on the fastest. But for milling as you said go richer. Maybe 1 is ok, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go a bit futher out though. You could check the spark plug after a few runs - it'd tell you how it's running

Back