Long bar suppliers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revdocjim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I finally took the plunge and got a 500i at a local Ace Hardware. It came with an 18" bar which will be fine with lots of things but I also want a 36". I have the 462 and my longest bar for that is a 30", along with a 25" and a 20" so I can use those on the 500i as well. But recently I've been using my Alaskan saw mill and the 30" just wasn't long enough for some of the bigger logs so I really want the 36". My local stores (Colorado Springs) don't appear to have them in stock and look at me like I'm crazy when I mention the 36". If I'm going to order one online, where do you recommend I go?

what is the mount # of bar. ( I am not up on the newer Stilh's)my 084 uses a Oregon # 3002 , Ahlborn Equipment - forester bars to 72" sprocket nose .050 or .063in 3/8 pitch, but they can change out the tip for . 404 or maybe .325

Sugihara, tsumura, stihl, Oregon and many others all make 36" bars in the 3003/D025 mount. Just go online and buy whichever you prefer. I love stihl light bars, but the cost is a bit much imo. Solid bars are also a bit better for an Alaskan mill as well. Also, if you're running a 36" mill, you'll need more like a 40" bar to get all 36" of cutting area out of it. Don't make my mistake... have 36" and a 40" bars. The 40" just stays with the mill.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like my post was a bit hasty. I hunted some more today and actually found one in town at Big R. It's the Rollomatic ES in .050 gauge. I might have preferred .063 gauge but I don't want to open that can of worms in this thread and .050 is what they had so I got it. I don't mind that it isn't the Light bar, since the primary use will be with the mill. $109 for the bar and $62 for the chain.

As for the 500i being sold with an 18" bar, I thought it was odd as well, but perhaps that is why it was a good price, at $1,440 for the wrap-handle version.

I have that same bar for my 660, the .050 isn't terrible. You can likely find Stihl chains for less than that on Ebay if you search, and if you are OK with off brand you can probably find Forester or Carlton for around $30-$35

I have that same bar for my 660, the .050 isn't terrible. You can likely find Stihl chains for less than that on Ebay if you search, and if you are OK with off brand you can probably find Forester or Carlton for around $30-$35
Thanks for the good info.

WOW on the chain............I could have treated you much better on that chain but it is good to support a local dealer although I have a feeling Big R is box farm store

I admit that I didn't do any research on the chain. Just bought it because I knew it fit and they had it... oh well. When I have to buy another I'll look around a bit more. As for Big R, it was my first time in that store even though I guess it's been there for quite a while. Kind of a strange store... albeit fun! It's one fourth cowboy clothing, (more flannel and denim than you can shake a stick at!), one half hardware of all sorts, and one fourth hunting/camping gear. They actually have a pretty large section with just horse related stuff. So I browsed around and I actually ended up buying a gun as well! I've been looking for a sidearm for critter protection while big game hunting but at a low price. I'll be hunting elk in the Rockies alone this season. I finally found a 10mm at a very affordable price and took the plunge. I probably should spend too much time in that store given the condition of my bank account. :)

I admit that I didn't do any research on the chain. Just bought it because I knew it fit and they had it... oh well. When I have to buy another I'll look around a bit more. As for Big R, it was my first time in that store even though I guess it's been there for quite a while. Kind of a strange store... albeit fun! It's one fourth cowboy clothing, (more flannel and denim than you can shake a stick at!), one half hardware of all sorts, and one fourth hunting/camping gear. They actually have a pretty large section with just horse related stuff. So I browsed around and I actually ended up buying a gun as well! I've been looking for a sidearm for critter protection while big game hunting but at a low price. I'll be hunting elk in the Rockies alone this season. I finally found a 10mm at a very affordable price and took the plunge. I probably should spend too much time in that store given the condition of my bank account. :)
Were you able to walk out that day with the sidearm after the FBI check? I hope so!
Also I will admit after I did the math on that chain and the shipping to your fine state I honestly would not have saved you much more than maybe $12 and we both no that is nothing compared to convenience

Were you able to walk out that day with the sidearm after the FBI check? I hope so!
Also I will admit after I did the math on that chain and the shipping to your fine state I honestly would not have saved you much more than maybe $12 and we both no that is nothing compared to convenience
As of October 1st Colorado has a three day waiting period for all firearm purchases. No problem for me and it even gives you the chance to reconsider what could have been a hasty decision. Anyway, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

As of October 1st Colorado has a three day waiting period for all firearm purchases. No problem for me and it even gives you the chance to reconsider what could have been a hasty decision. Anyway, I'll pick it up tomorrow.
Long before Reagan got shot and the gun control folks got nasty, Illinois had a 1 day and 3 day waiting period.

We have several Big R stores around here. Very nice store. Ours stocks a bunch of Husky and some pro level Stihl equipment. They never sell any of it.
The one by our place opened during covid. They had set aside a bunch of reloading stuff when they planned the store a year earlier. When they put out the powder and primers it went fast at pre-panic prices. That was the last time I saw Bullseye, 2400, or Unique in any store. The limit was five each but I was feeling magnanimous so I only bought two.

As for waiting periods, what if I already have a gun? What bad decision am I going to rethink during the wait if I already have other guns? I never understood that logic.

Back