Ripping chain - 2 Bailey's or 1 Granberg?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSJchester

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, I guess I'm going to try this milling stuff. I ordered the Alaskan Mk III 30" from Northern Tool last Saturday and need advice on chain.

I'll cut both soft- and hardwood but my first target rationale for getting the thing is several very nice white pines and hemlock that are down and going to waste. I'll be using a Husqvarna 372 with a 24" bar.

The Granberg chain is $38 or so and the Bailey's Woodland Pro brand about $16. I'm leaning toward Bailey's becuase unless the difference is great I'd rather have 2 chains to work with than one.

Thanks in advance. -WSJ

I have used both and can not honestly tell a great deal of difference between the two in performance. The Granberg may be a tad bit faster but that is just by my judging while milling as I have never timed a cut. I will buy the Baileys chain from here on out.:cheers:

Last edited:
Oh yah definitely the Bailey's. You'll be using plenty of chain. There are quality chains out there but nothing wrong with woodland pro until you learn the ropes. And then I still don't know if your going to find that much difference.
Knock the bark off that pine and you'll save a lot on that new chain. Happy milling, chester!

I have been milling since 2006 and only use baileys and think there is a lot of product for the low cost and yes it allows you to buy more chains which is important out in the woods when milling.:chainsaw:

I find grandberg to be over priced,so i buy Bailey's and then modify it it myself for better cutting.Grandberg needs to learn to clean up the chain after grinding.:)

a little about ripping chain

have ben reading threads about ripping chain.have ben ripping for 10 yrs. off and on.started out with granburg chain ,a few years back i baught ripping chain from baileys. the baileys chain had the cutters ground almost straight across but none of the cutters were ground on the sides like the granburg chain.baileys chain cut at about half the speeed of the granburg chain.i then took a grinder and cut off the sides of 2 teeth and left the next 2 as they were.this is how the granburg chain was cut.the baileys chain then cut 50% faster. dont know if baileys chain is still made this way or not.to the person who is milling dry pine,i have found that dry pine mills a lot harder than any oak i have milled. i am milling with a 272 and 372 husky, cut the bars off and welded them together built a track and carrage to hold the saws and logs.i can make a 12 in.wide cut in a 14 ft. oak log in about a minute.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming my Bailey's choice. Two for the price of one if the quality is anywhere near equal seems the way to go.

loghog: I'll look close at the Bailey's chain when I get it to see if I can tell how it's made these days.

Thanks all. -WSJ

Latest posts

Back