Risky Oak (bad tree)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever you do, make sure you keep that little sprout at the bottom! Think of the great growth potential that little guy will have! All that root system? All that intake for just a little tree.

To be sure, to be sure.

no matter how you take it down secure both leaders if your lowering off em, ratchet straps not too tight would absorb any excess shock whilst lowering sections, good luck.:)

Once you get to the big wood, instead of tip tieing and rigging, could you just cut smaller chunks and throw them off to a safe landing zone? I wouldn't worry about tearing up a yard when your life is on the line.

Well said, don't risk your life, pound it down.

See TreeCo, I was thinking exactly what you are saying originally. I need to quit listening to people tell me what I know. I can reduce weight and rig this tree I know. I've been in this tree already and I've done worse trees! I'll get this tree down. News and story at 11.
Sounds like you have it under control for sure. Just a little concerned and that's OK, it's what keeps us out of the hospital.

How close is the house? Where your back is taking this pic?

I do this alot with nothing but success. Your rodeo but check this out.

You can tie a rope to the section you feel good about, then going around the other section of the tree you concerned about, securing it to a truck if possible. Taking it a little tighter after the notch. It will drop a little but then will follow the rope down to the truck. Going right around the the other part of the tree.
Good pics but still not as good as being there. Ya know?
trees09010-1.jpg

Sounds like you have it under control for sure. Just a little concerned and that's OK, it's what keeps us out of the hospital.

How close is the house? Where your back is taking this pic?

I do this alot with nothing but success. Your rodeo but check this out.

You can tie a rope to the section you feel good about, then going around the other section of the tree you concerned about, securing it to a truck if possible. Taking it a little tighter after the notch. It will drop a little but then will follow the rope down to the truck. Going right around the the other part of the tree.
Good pics but still not as good as being there. Ya know?
trees09010-1.jpg
THat tree looks like a perfect canidate for the bucket , I ain't to cool to bring in the long arm ya feel me..

After looking at the base, in your pics, I've got to say that this one would've been a "walk-away" for me, if dropping it in one fell swoop was out of the question. Good luck. If you're going to climb it and rig anything/everything down, I sure hope your groundies know how to let things run. Shock loading this baby may send you to that big grove in the sky. Again, good luck. Be careful.

noob

I would probably take a set of ratchet straps and tighten them up about where the first of the larger limbs start so it would hold the stems together while trying to do any rigging. Not to tight though.

noob move

like dude said, winch or comealong it into the hole to the right or grow a set and climb it. the backside is probably intact enough (although not pictured) to rope the left side to the right side, provided you have a decent ropeman who wont shockload, even then prolly still good.

Farmi winch, maybe a step ladder and a 3/4 DB = $$

I like what treeco said about tieing the two together and dropping em, I've done that with smaller trees before. It would be fun to try if it wasnt so critical.

Farmi winch, maybe a step ladder and a 3/4 DB = $$

I like what treeco said about tieing the two together and dropping em, I've done that with smaller trees before. It would be fun to try if it wasnt so critical.

they split so close to the ground that you couldnt make a cohesive wedge. if there was 4 or five feet of good trunk this might work. something that might work though tho would be to have a rope going through the right side, tied to the left side. then you could cut the left side, pulling on the rope so that it would lay in the right side. then with all the weight on the right side you could drop in in the hole, if there is one. something like this i would just piece out tho.

I would set up some mechanical advantage and pull the left side over on top of the right side. At least thats how us rich ##### tree sisses do it. If only you had mini loader! What kind of money does a tree like that bring in your area? And how long will the cleanup take?

Last edited:
I would set up some mechanical advantage and pull the left side over on top of the right side. At least thats how us rich ##### tree sisses do it. If only you had mini loader!

yeah, after thinking about it i decided that that wouldnt be the best idea after all. if you have the power to pull the left side into the right side, you have the power to pull the left side into the hole after you cut the right side away. that canker doesnt look that bad, stability-wise. sure, its bad, but it looks like you can still climb it. also from the angle of the shots it looks like the canker is localized at stomach height and doesnt go far up into the tree, hence you could probable make beds right above the canker without a step-ladder in the crotch, and they would hinge

Well I'll be damn...

I never considered tying two trees together for a drop.

Not sure I would try it on this one but boy howdy could I see it work for a 3 or 4 lead silver maple or something. Using the lead that will for sure fall good pulling a lead hanging a little toward a house.

Yeah buddy, I'm gonna be keeping that option open.
TreeGuy.jpg

noob

noob move

like dude said, winch or comealong it into the hole to the right or grow a set and climb it. the backside is probably intact enough (although not pictured) to rope the left side to the right side, provided you have a decent ropeman who wont shockload, even then prolly still good.

Thats too many "probablys" for me, and likely alot of owners with themself or their climber, their company reputation and potential insurance claim on the line. Especially considering you've only seen the tree in a 2d pic. Kind of hard to make those proclamations without being at the base of the tree isn't it?

Or are you the guy who ends up saying..."Sorry boss, I really thought I could make it go there. But hey.....you're deductible is cheap right?"

I would drop the first half then use a MA to drop the other half if set up properly you should have no proplems but i would avoid useing a machine.

Latest posts

Back