River Birch Not In Leaf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty Oak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I planted a River Birch last Fall and her it is the 22rd of May and still no leafs on the tree. I screech the bark and it is green and I look down at the base of the tree there is a shot coming up. Why is it not in leaf? Will it leaf out yet?

MO, there can be numerous reasons why your birch has not leafed out yet... some more distressing than others.

Did it dry out at all after you planted it? Did you have any unusual weather events last fall, through the winter or early this spring?

It would be best if you could post some pictures of it, showing the entire tree, a closeup of a branch and a good shot of the base.

Sylvia

MO, there can be numerous reasons why your birch has not leafed out yet... some more distressing than others.

Did it dry out at all after you planted it? No I keep it watered and it had rain and snow in the Fall and Winter. Did you have any unusual weather events last fall, through the winter or early this spring? This Spring we got more rain than we morally get. We been having a very wet Spring this year, at least a inch or more a week. We are unable to plant the garden for it is that wet.

It would be best if you could post some pictures of it, showing the entire tree, a closeup of a branch and a good shot of the base. I wish I could but I have no camera. There are tiny buds on it, and no the rabbits could not get to the base for I have a tree gard on it. My question is why is there a short coming up at it's base? Isn't this a sign that there is life there? I can bend the limbs of the tree and they will not brake off. It is green under the bark of the tree. If let go will it come out in leaf next year? You see I don't know what would cause this to happen since I planted 3 other trees at the same time last year and they are all in leaf. I let them soak for about 2 hours in water last fall before I planted them. They were bare root trees. Than after I planted them I even soaked the ground after wards and watered them up until it froze last winter.

Sylvia
I hope that this help you.

Last edited:
MO, I would certainly give your river birch more time before making any decision. Green cambium and plump buds are a good sign. It may just be a matter of delayed foliation caused by environmental conditions in its microclimate.

The sucker coming up from the base may be an indicator that you planted it a bit too deep.

Whereas river birch do tolerate wet sites and poor drainage, do be sure you are not drowning it. You can't help the amount of moisture you are getting from the sky, I realize that. But perhaps check to see what its drainage is like. Roots need water and oxygen. Too much water will reduce the available oxygen.

Sylvia

MO, mulch around your trees is excellent. There is always that caveat...done right. Make sure you didn't pile it up against the trunk.

One of the benefits of mulch is the stabilization of temperature extremes. It will keep the ground warmer in cool weather and cooler in warm weather. It can also delay the warming of the soil coming out of winter.

This is a benefit in some areas, such as ours, where we are subject to late freezes. The trees that had later bud break are less likely to be damaged.

I don't know if this is what is going on with your tree and if you only put 2 to 3" of mulch, it probably isn't.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back