Rivet Spinner & Chain Breaker Brands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a Tecomec chain breaker and rivet spinner from a local shop for $121 out the door for the pair, I have only shortened a couple of chains so far, but they seem to be quality tools.

Good deal!

eBay seller ArcherPlus has the set for $130, shipped (in blue), or $160, shipped (in red).

I think that these might be the most widely used, current, models.

The replacement spinner anvils, breaker punches, etc., are widely available, due to the popularity.

My sets have paid for themselves several time over, repairing and resizing loops. And, they still have at least 50% resale value, if I ever decide to sell them.

Philbert

Good deal!

eBay seller ArcherPlus has the set for $130, shipped (in blue), or $160, shipped (in red).

The replacement spinner anvils, breaker punches, etc., are widely available, due to the popularity.

My sets have paid for themselves several time over, repairing and resizing loops. And, they still have at least 50% resale value, if I ever decide to sell them.

Philbert

Yep, I saw them for $130 for the set, which with tax would be around $140 for me. I like giving my local folks business when I can, and it saved me $20 to boot. So far every tecomec product I have used has been a good value. The next thing I want to add to the lineup is a tecomec chain grinder.

Good deal!

Philbert

Is it possible to re-spin a preset that has been punched out of a brand new chain?
I bought a dozen or so 66 dl chains from HiPa for like 4 bucks each during a big sale. I want to make some 72 and 78 dl chains out of them. I just wondering if re-spinning can safely be done or is that a notion I need to get out of my head.

Is it possible to re-spin a preset that has been punched out of a brand new chain?
I bought a dozen or so 66 dl chains from HiPa for like 4 bucks each during a big sale. I want to make some 72 and 78 dl chains out of them. I just wondering if re-spinning can safely be done or is that a notion I need to get out of my head.

You'll be told no, that it's unsafe. It IS better to use new presets, but sometimes old ones can be reused if there is enough meat left in the head. Using the smallest punch you have for the chain breaker helps a little with leaving more meat on the preset to spin a new head.

I spent some time on this.

A lot of ‘old school’ guys talk about carrying an anvil and punch, to repair chain loops in the field, often reusing the parts. Tools like the Granberg ‘Break-and-Mend’ instruct how to re-form and re-use the rivets / presets.

When I punch out rivets with my breaker, I usually find a ring of material breaks off from the rivet head, and see deformation of the rivet body.

Guys who grind off the rivet head before breaking / punching remove more material.

Spinning the river does more than flatten out the head: it expands the body to fill the hole in the tie strap, reducing chain sloppiness and stretch.

So my recommendation is to not reuse presets, due to the damaged rivets, although, sometimes the tie strap portions can be salvaged.

Clearly, some people do reuse them. The presets are pretty cheap, and if you plan ahead, you should always be able to have a few on hand.

Philbert

I spent some time on this.

A lot of ‘old school’ guys talk about carrying an anvil and punch, to repair chain loops in the field, often reusing the parts. Tools like the Granberg ‘Break-and-Mend’ instruct how to re-form and re-use the rivets / presets.

When I punch out rivets with my breaker, I usually find a ring of material breaks off from the rivet head, and see deformation of the rivet body.

Guys who grind off the rivet head before breaking / punching remove more material.

Spinning the river does more than flatten out the head: it expands the body to fill the hole in the tie strap, reducing chain sloppiness and stretch.

So my recommendation is to not reuse presets, due to the damaged rivets, although, sometimes the tie strap portions can be salvaged.

Clearly, some people do reuse them. The presets are pretty cheap, and if you plan ahead, you should always be able to have a few on hand.

Philbert

I have the granberg break and mend hand tool but no instructions. I can get it to break but gave on up the spinning part and used a ball pein.

Beat me to it !

Spare parts (anvils, punches, etc.) used to be available at Bailey’s. My e directly from Granberg?

Philbert

I checked granberg website but didn't see any instructions. I will try it again when I get time. It seemed pretty straight forward but evidently I was doing something wrong and got frustrated and gave up. I was thinking about buying an archer spinner but really shouldn't spend the money just to do a few chains, especially if I can this granberg to work.

yep, I have an old oregan/ Herr breaker and spinner, cant source replacement punches here, and if I can find them from the US, its over $50 au to get it posted, unreal.
if anyone has any spare, or can get one and post for 10, a padded envelope would not be much, im happy to pay you.
pt # 26870

and if there are any 13mm long spinner anvils for 3/8 /325, im after those as well.

Thanks chaps.
The Herr replacement parts are fully interchangeable with stihls as they are produced by the same manufacturer. I have the Herr set and like them much. Bought an old used set cheap and replaced all the. Hardware

I have the granberg break and mend hand tool but no instructions. I can get it to break but gave on up the spinning part and used a ball pein.
I bought one of those 30+ yrs ago…tried to use it in the field once…gave up 🤣
still have it, I think, free to some poor sucker for freight 😀

Yes but the rivets are cheap to buy in bulk pks. And, it is kind of a time consuming pita to recondition them for reuse. I reuse the plates after flattening them, if bent during breaking, but have new ones as well. If you need 3/8 rivets I have more than I’ll ever use…given to me…can send you some.

I bought one of those 30+ yrs ago…tried to use it in the field once…gave up
still have it, I think, free to some poor sucker for freight
I keep mine for a field emergency. Prefer a decent spinner breaker set for shop use.

But, if someone gets an outboard clutch saw stuck, and they want to pull the powerhead, the Granberg Break-N-Mend would be a great tool to have!

Philbert

I keep mine for a field emergency. Prefer a decent spinner breaker set for shop use.

But, if someone gets an outboard clutch saw stuck, and they want to pull the powerhead, the Granberg Break-N-Mend would be a great tool to have!

Philbert
Good point. I never could get the thing to break a link, at least not without a lot of swearing. Now I don’t have the hand strength to even try that thing.

well, found it…still can’t make it work. Got one to pop by putting all my weight on it, pushing down on my low bench. But, couldn’t get the second one. Uncle…🤪

Yes but the rivets are cheap to buy in bulk pks. And, it is kind of a time consuming pita to recondition them for reuse. I reuse the plates after flattening them, if bent during breaking, but have new ones as well. If you need 3/8 rivets I have more than I’ll ever use…given to me…can send yo

Yes but the rivets are cheap to buy in bulk pks. And, it is kind of a time consuming pita to recondition them for reuse. I reuse the plates after flattening them, if bent during breaking, but have new ones as well. If you need 3/8 rivets I have more than I’ll ever use…given to me…can send you some.
Thanks, that would be great. I could use 3/8 in .050 and
063. I need to get .325 and 3/8 lp as well.

Thanks, that would be great. I could use 3/8 in .050 and
063. I need to get .325 and 3/8 lp as well.

Generally when you buy a roll of chain it'll come with presets, but if you're working with altering loops like you are, Archer sells presets on Ebay for $12/20. So far they have had every size I needed and have been good quality.

still can’t make it work. Got one to pop by putting all my weight on it, pushing down on my low bench. But, couldn’t get the second one
Been a while. But, as I recall, you need to punch progressively: squeeze a little with the jaws set wide; tighten that screw on the end a little, then squeeze again; repeat.

There is at least one thread on it here on A.S.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back