Road legal log arch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jredsjeep

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did some searching and haven’t found any info on the road legality of a log arch. I was wondering if I could possibly take a log arch on the road legally loaded with wood. I know I would have to have to place lights on the back of the log but a simple light bar with some screws and wires could do that. some people want the wood OUT as fast as possible and this would be a way to move wood quickly to cut and split at home or try my hand at some milling.

I have a diesel F350 so I have a stout vehicle to tow with and I have seen log arches used by the DOT to move telephone poles but just because they can do does not always mean I can.

does anybody know for sure if I could legally license and use something like this?

I have a Logrite Mark 7 that I could take on the road I guess.

500_5814.jpg

Only mine has a two speed winch connected to the tow tongue with a cable and choker in place of the removable skidding tongs. I can't seem to find a picture of the exact setup I have since I bought the demo unit from Logrite and he threw in one of everything with it. I believe the winch mounted on the tongue unit is from another model they sell. I wouldn't trust the tongs alone at speed.

Lights? Maybe not legally required. I see cement mixers and compressors being towed all the time without lights. As long as the tail lights of the vehicle can be seen I think you can get away with it.

I personally would use lights. I have a set of magnetic stop/tail lights from harbor freight that I paid about $20.00 for with a coupon.

image_3704.jpg

A red flag is a must! Lights are suggested I'm guessing.

Last edited:
In PA anyway, I'm pretty sure you'd need lights on the log arch. Air compressors and light plants don't require a license plate because they are not carrying a "load" if that makes sense. And some of them don't have/ need trailer lights. That is how it was explained to me. I could be all washed up. Since the log arch is actually carrying something, I'd imagine you'd need some sort of signal and break lights on it. Look on PENNDOT's website; I'm sure there is information there to help you out. You'd also want to check with Logrite to see how fast you can tow the arch. That thing might get squirrelly pretty quick.

I guess depends how far you plan on driving. I think the OP is just looking to move wood from the property owner’s site to a place where it can be dealt with ASAP. I haven't tried moving more that one log at a time with the arch. Seems like it would be time consuming moving one at a time. Maybe a equipment trailer with a winch would allow you to move multiple logs and save time.
Try asking a local cop to get his take on what you plan on doing with an arch.
Assuming you have the arch already.
I use the trailering tongue on my arch with the ATV. The arch breaks down so it would fit in the truck for transport.

I just email Kevin at Logrite questioning him on the subject. I will reply with his answers.
He's a member here so he may reply directly.

500_0932.jpg

Last edited:
thanks very much for the replies! yes i am trying to move wood off someones property to either A: get it cleaned up quick or B: keep a large sized log intact so i could try milling it at my leisure on my property.

i do not have a log arch yet, i plan on building my own. they are fairly simple overall, i am a engineer at work and run 3-D design software where i can put a plan together and even run stress analysis software if i think i need to. i have built trailers before, i have the equipment and enjoy tinkering.

i just want to do some back round info before i jump in, and being able to go on road might change some design constraints that might not be necessary if it was just off road only. i dont plan on towing cross country just locally.

i look forward to hearing what logrite has to say.

In these parts, I have seen a few gas companies hauling propane tanks in an arch type trailer. If you are hauling a log at a time, I certainly would not consider you to be a commercial operation ;) , meaning the DOT does not have grounds to interrogate nor persecute you <sp?>, in theory. Chain it down and keep it safe, you should be okay. Keep in mind, if you ever have to slam on the brakes, there is a darn big ran rod behind you.

:cheers:

I think it would be slightly dangerous if you want to drive at normal road speeds. Since a log arch balances the load below the trailer, it sways under its own weight. Braking, accelerating and turning might cause it to come loose or dig into the ground. Utility pole trailers use some type of lift or crane to load the logs on the trailer.

You might be better off designing a simple trailer and a way to lift the logs on with a winch or come along.

Call the local cops or sheriff and ask. Or stop by and tell them what you are planning to do. They might give you guidelines (e.g. stay off certain types of roads, have a red flag, etc.) or tell you how to get a permit to do it.

Might be harder in the bigger cities or for long distances, but for a local or rural haul they probably would not have a problem if you could show them that it was a controlled move.

Philbert

i have always thought these were awesome

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=RFR+10&catID=161
little pricey i think i could build everything but the grapple for about half the price that includes the trailer. I would use a mobile home doubled up frame 3 axles and good steel. But i would need something bigger than my F-250 to pull it. That 300 is torquey but there is a limit a M817 five ton with a NHC250 cummins would work. You could also save money on the crane buy just using a fixed staright boom on a double maybe trac hoe setup twin cylinder rise. Rotation would be hard to acheave but a ring gear and a hydro motor would work. i would base my design off of this

attachment.php

I had 150 bucks and about 10 hours in this truck and got serveral logs of this size with it. And this was gear more to pipe. I could only imagine what i could do with a trailer designed for logs

did both those trucks have 300s? they're tough little motors, and pull anything, [not the fastest] or break something trying. what's the biggest amount of wood you hauled on that there log truck???

In these parts, I have seen a few gas companies hauling propane tanks in an arch type trailer. If you are hauling a log at a time, I certainly would not consider you to be a commercial operation ;) , meaning the DOT does not have grounds to interrogate nor persecute you <sp?>, in theory. Chain it down and keep it safe, you should be okay. Keep in mind, if you ever have to slam on the brakes, there is a darn big ran rod behind you.

:cheers:
Don't count on DOT not messing with non commercial people. I see them with Average Joe Shmoe pulled over all of the time around here. Our local sheriff's department even has their own motor carrier division and are "required" to stop at least one truck a day per deputy on duty, whether they're commercial or not. Most of the time, if you have truck or weighted tags, they'll leave the average guy alone unless you look grossly overloaded or unsafe... or look like and easy ticket for something.

Last edited:
Why not just find a nice long trailer? 20'+ Then you can use it for other things...

i would love to have that so i would have a car trailer but most are in the $2000 range for a decent one. sometimes they dip to the $1000 range but then they have no title and i dont want to mess with that.

i have the steel to build the arch so cost would be minimal excluding my time, mostly just the cost of junkyard spindles and matching wheels.

i guess my main concern like i said is legally titling and running a beast. i know i could "probubly" just get away with it on backroads but honestly my luck with doing that kind of thing is not that good. thats why i am trying to do it all where my legal ducks are in a row.

I think it would be slightly dangerous if you want to drive at normal road speeds. Since a log arch balances the load below the trailer, it sways under its own weight. Braking, accelerating and turning might cause it to come loose or dig into the ground. Utility pole trailers use some type of lift or crane to load the logs on the trailer.

You might be better off designing a simple trailer and a way to lift the logs on with a winch or come along.

i would plan on cinching the log tight to the frame. no way i would want to run road speed around a turn with a possible multi-ton pendulum. practices might be different in different areas but i have seen utility crews use the telephone pole itself for a trailer frame. a pintle hitch was bolted to the front of the pole and a little back from the center was a set of wheels then a light bar on back. nothing but some wiring connecting the steel pieces together. i will have to try to get some pics and start checking around.

cool pics wvlogger!

thanks for all the input, it is helping to point me in the right direction.

you would need some safety chains to hold the log if it let go. And to keep it from swaying and rocking.

i would love to have that so i would have a car trailer but most are in the $2000 range for a decent one. sometimes they dip to the $1000 range but then they have no title and i dont want to mess with that.

In KY Getting a title for a trailer is really no problem.we can go to local clerks office and apply for a title for a'' home-built trailer"you tell them size and value.the state will then issue you a title and a Vin plate that you attach to trailer .we can then license and tag trailer just like you would anything else.

i have always thought these were awesome

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=RFR+10&catID=161
little pricey i think i could build everything but the grapple for about half the price that includes the trailer. I would use a mobile home doubled up frame 3 axles and good steel. But i would need something bigger than my F-250 to pull it. That 300 is torquey but there is a limit a M817 five ton with a NHC250 cummins would work. You could also save money on the crane buy just using a fixed staright boom on a double maybe trac hoe setup twin cylinder rise. Rotation would be hard to acheave but a ring gear and a hydro motor would work. i would base my design off of this

attachment.php

I had 150 bucks and about 10 hours in this truck and got serveral logs of this size with it. And this was gear more to pipe. I could only imagine what i could do with a trailer designed for logs

HAHA! That's great! But they would lock you up and throw away the key around here.
I would call the State Police and ask, not the locals. If you have another a trailer with a plate just slap it on the arch.
Last time I checked it was Ok to tow a car with a proper tow bar with no plate or anything.

Ive used my arch to haul logs on the road and ive never had an issue. Even had a trooper pass me, he just waved. The logs are chained to the arch and i always put a SMV tag on the rear end of the log. I just stay at about 25mph. I would not try going down a limited access highway.

did both those trucks have 300s? they're tough little motors, and pull anything, [not the fastest] or break something trying. what's the biggest amount of wood you hauled on that there log truck???

that one was carbed my new one is EFI I have had it 1 foot over th bunks but it was dragging bad. I have had it to the top of the cab with 2" gas line

Last edited:
HAHA! That's great! But they would lock you up and throw away the key around here.
I would call the State Police and ask, not the locals. If you have another a trailer with a plate just slap it on the arch.
Last time I checked it was Ok to tow a car with a proper tow bar with no plate or anything.

really? i never had a thing said to me

Latest posts

Back