Robbed maybe not! Helped maybe not!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has a friend who's father is in his late 80s, he insists on doing the work around his small farm and she worries about him. I told my wife to tell her if his time comes while he's out working, she can know that he exited this world doing what made him happy.

My father says the same thing and he's in his late 80's. What a generation! Saved the free world.

OK I'll bite. Who in the hell is this billy ray cyrus??? A motivational speaker or something?

An American country music singer and currently actor. Had a monster hit 19 years ago. If you have daughters in their early teens or younger who watch Disneychannel they could tell you that he's Hannah Montanas father.

I think you we're supposed to be offended...

You're kind of a cranky bastard anyway, bro.:msp_rolleyes:

Not me Chris. I'm a peach of a guy. Most of the time. ;)

An American country music singer and currently actor. Had a monster hit 19 years ago. If you have daughters in their early teens or younger who watch Disneychannel they could tell you that he's Hannah Montanas father.

I think you we're supposed to be offended...

Yeah I figured as much considering the source. Hard to offend a feller that don't really give a damn ain't it? :laugh:

At home he throws his stuff in his golf cart that he put bigger tires on and hauls butt out thru the pasture slinging cow pies and mud eveywhere. He's done this all his life and if he were to stop I actually thing it would lead to his demise. He's doing what he loves and if he leaves this world out there in the woods he went doing what he knew and loved.

My grandpa kept working the farm until he died on it. I was the only grandson that would work with him, because he liked to do things the old-fashioned way, and my cousins liked the shiny new machinery. The only tractor he would run was our old John Deere A, and the only way to start it was to crank the flywheel by hand. The summer the arthritis in his hands got too bad for him to get a good grip on the flywheel was the summer I finally got strong enough to start it by myself, so we got to work another couple of summers together.

When I was a kid growin' up in S.W. Pa., (back when dirt was first invented and the earth was flat) my buddy and I used to visit his grandmother in West Virginia on the weekends to help her keep up on the farm. Since the old man had died a few years before she had been slowin' down (she was somewhere around 70). Turns out she had heart trouble and ended up getting one of the very first triple or quad by-passes ever performed (can't recall exactly). Upon her return from the hospital we got the call that there was a ton of work that needed doin' so away we went. Well we got there just in time for a good ol' fashioned Foxfire style hog slaughterin', and lemme tell ya, for a 13 year old middle class suburban kid, who was used to seein' his uncooked dinner wrapped in cling wrap...it was an eye opener. I never worked so G.D. hard, slept so sound or ate so good in my life!

The recent recipient of all that fancy heart work...she was up hours before us, stokin' her wood cook stove, bakin' biscuits, fryin' us fresh pork steaks and eggs for breakfast every morning - and right in the thick of it all day long. She got a kick out'a showin' us HER old school. All I can say is, it's a friggin' miracle that our earliest settlers lasted a week. It's even harder to believe that my kids that can't get out'a bed before the crack of noon, are even remotely related to folks that were that tough.

As I recall she lived into her 90's thanks to the new plumbing, and I never did see a chain saw there. Cuttin' wood was a two man, bow saw and ax experience. Never thought about it til now but she must've been doin' all of that as well, 'cuz we sure as hell were about worthless - barely split enough wood to replace what was used while we were there.

Oldman sawing!

Thanks everyone who responded, I'm still gonna tune his saws and provide him with sharp chain until he decides he's done. His kids may ##### and mown alittle but thats how it'll be. Nice to see that most of us agree if ya stop moving your dead. Speaking of that I gotta get off this computer! See ya the Hoosier

Latest posts

Back