Rookie looking for formula help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mully359

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was wondering if there was a formula for figureing out how many face cords are in a pile? also how to figure how many you would have in a log? I really appreciate the help guys. thanks, Mike

These are some numbers out of a book that I own "The Backyard Lumberjack" to get you started. Maybe I can scan this page later on.

Presupposing a 16" DBH (diameter @ breast height):

height of tree / yield in relation to a cord

40' / .260
50' / .330
60' / .390
70' / .460
80' / .530
90' / .600

Presupposing a 21" DBH:

50' / .580
60' / .700
70' / .820
80' / .940
90' / 1.070

HTH & welcome to the site

here is a answer that I just gave in another post but here you go: you need (3) measurements because a cord is a cubic measurement, a cord equals 4'x4'x8'= 128 cubic ft. Measure length x width x height. Divide 128 into your answer that wil give you how many cord you have. (roughly+/-) looks like the other part has been answered for ya!!

Thanks for the help guys. I was headed to the book in a couple of days to try and find some books on this stuff also. Thanks again, Mike

I tend to guesstimate a cord at 4h x 12' diam. when tossed in a pile/mound, so that'd mean aprox.3 face cord (very aproximate.) @ 16".

:cheers:

Serge

Latest posts

Back