Rope Length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When doing recoils, I use around 3 feet as a rule of thumb and then adjust from there. Seems to work well, never had a problem.

As for getting the dreaded backfire, I have only gotten it a few time, I always try to have a really good firm grip and I am cautious as to what saw I am starting.

D@mn recoil springs will make your finger tips as strong as a guitar player. My worst experience has been an 015. The deep depression it goes in makes for bad angles. My dealer showed me a sweet little tool he made for recoils, works nicely.

lolol The 066 is 1000mm, or 38.37 inches... you're worried about 0.63inches?:cheers:

Well no I wouldn't worry about .63 inch's! The ones he showed me were more like 6.3 inch's shorter.

I hate to rag on dealers, but jeezzch! I go in and tell the smart azz genuis behind the counter that I want and elastostart for a Stihl 660.

He say's "you got a 660?" (probably not many around this town)

I said no I'm putting it on a Homelite. From the look on his face it was like I asked to see his mother naked or sumtin!

Anyway he brings this thing out and its WAY to short. I said you sure that's for a 660? Yep that's all I have that fits a 660.

Sooo are you happy now that I had to go and explain all that? :)

Last edited:
damn typos... 39.67!!!! I knew I should have just stayed with 1000mm and not tried to convert to that quaint, but antiquated, inch stuff.

Measured from top of handle to end of rope.

Last edited:
Well no I wouldn't worry about .63 inch's! The ones he showed me were more like 6.3 inch's shorter.

I hate to rag on dealers, but jeezzch! I go in and tell the smart azz genuis behind the counter that I want and elastostart for a Stihl 660.

He say's "you got a 660?" (probably not many around this town)

I said no I'm putting it on a Homelite. From the look on his face it was like I asked to see his mother naked or sumtin!

Anyway he brings this thing out and its WAY to short. I said you sure that's for a 660? Yep that's all I have that fits a 660.

Sooo are you happy now that I had to go and explain all that? :)

Dude you didnt ask him to see mother...... Wow:dizzy:

damn typos... 39.67!!!! I knew I should have just stayed with 1000mm and not tried to convert to that quaint, but antiquated, inch stuff.

Measured from top of handle to end of rope.

Typos my behind!

I know I should have had you get me the part#s before I went to see the genius.

It's OK, I went to my favorite shop and got a briggs rope that fit the pulley perfectly. It's sharp too, black with red stripes!

Another plus is I saved about $17!

Latest posts

Back