Rotate bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not a pro

Do you pros your bar upside down every time you swap chains?

I am not a pro but cut a substancial amount of firewood and i flip not every time but sometimes. I put the chain on and install the bar the way the chain tells me to.

if you sharpen your chain on the bar all the wear from cutting and dogging will be on one side flipping the bar helps the bar cutting strait

for me i flip the bar every time chain comes off. by fliping you make the bar last a little longer for reallly heavy saw use. if a homeowner asked me about it, i ask how much cutting do they plan on doing. if you just cut a few limbs and the odd tree only flip the bar once a season,if into firewood or major logging then flip daily. it also boils down to if you buy a solid sprocket nose bar or a laminated sprocket nose bar. the laminated bars wear faster then the solid bar:) also a the other thing to consider is bars over 28" take alot more abuse. another thing too note is if a person runs long bars that run 404 is that heaveir chain can splay the rails:chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn:

My chain does not come off the bar very often so I flip the bar when it is convenient to do so. Burrs are filed off as needed. Periodically I chuck the bar in a vice and dress the rails with a Pferd tool.

During my annual session cutting small willows the 260 will throw chains constantly, like twice a day, so that hardnose bar will be flipped much more often.

Do you pros your bar upside down every time you swap chains?

I am no pro by any means but I sure do, makes sence to do so, it keeps the wear even, and you can clean the oiler passages and oil the clutch bearing at the same time I also grease the tip sprocket fwtw.

Kansas

Last edited:
Every Saturday or Sunday I break all my saws down and give them a serious cleaning , sharpen all the chains and flip the bars.

When I used to have my chains ground it was real easy to flip the bar over. It does not happen as frequently now since I sharpen my chains on the saw. I do use both sides of the bar plus the nose when cutting so the bar does get a good workout.

Every Time

I flip the bar each time I change or remove the chain. Easy habit to get into.

It's one the the chief peeves I have with some of the 'tool-less' chain tensioners (Stihl) - some of them make it harder to flip the bar.

Philbert

I flip mine often, but the reason I ask is b/c in the vast majority of pics I see, the bars are right side up. It even says to do so in the manuals - Stihls at least.

Back