Rotten wood question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abikerboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Where I live, I am surrounded on two sides by farmland, and the gentleman and his family are very good and well liked people. Was talking with him the other day, and we got on the topic of a huge grove of trees that he had bulldozed years ago because he was having problems with people who shouldn't be in there! He gave myself and another neighbor permission to go in there, and said that if there was anything that could be used for firewood we were welcome to it. There are various forms of locust, maple, oak, some smaller apple, and other types that I cannot identify. This wood is in various levels of decay...some in very good condition, and some in pretty bad shape. My question is...since this is all free, and since we can basically just cut it and toss it over the fence onto my property, would it be worth cutting some of the more rotten stuff to burn? Even if for nothing other than to help the guy out who is giving us the wood? The neighbor and myself who would be getting the wood, we both have outdoor wood burners, so insects and rotten wood would not be brought into the house, and assuming that the more decayed wood would burn up faster, and would leave more ash, we have both decided that the little bit of extra effort required to stock the stove and remove ashes would not be any big issue, and especially with the fact that the wood is next door, and we wouldn't even need to gas up the trucks! Sorry for the long, drawn out posting, but I am open to any and all input! Thanks guys!

If you both have OWB's, I would take it if it's not completely falling apart. Sounds like nice wood, apple has incredible heat.

Burn it now before it gets real cold. Shoulder season is the right time of year to burn the junk...
Hard to pass up free wood close to home.:biggrinbounce2:

Once wood rots, punks, or "pooches" it loses the BTUs you want for fuel. Frankly a waste of labor. If it seems solid even under the bark and cambium layer and sapwood, it's OK for firewood. Oaks tend to last for years because of the thicker bark--if you're cutting what looks like rotten stuff, watch your chain, the grit in decayed wood will dull the chain fast.

Enjoy.

Once wood rots, punks, or "pooches" it loses the BTUs you want for fuel. Frankly a waste of labor.

:agree2:

One of my current projects is taking a large pile of free wood to the dump, one pickup load at a time, just like I brought it home.

It wasn't worth burning, and it's in my way. It was a waste of time, and I wish I had left it alone.

You will, too, if you bring home punky wood.

What is this 'grit in decayed wood' that you speak of?

Sorry TreeCo can't give you an exact account of the substances that will dull a chain. Maybe an example will do. Standing dead or fallen dead trees will still "suck up" (technical forestry term ;)) water, and nutrients from soil as they do when living. In this woodland, many standing dead Red Oaks will have grit and sand and dirt just under the bark in the cambium that pulls nutrients to the tree. They are a chain killer. The oaks were left after the fields reverted to forest and predominant spruce and fir species that take over within decades. Punky wood on the ground that may feel soft has similar grit. You'll discover this when cleaning up an area for clearing. A PITA.

For the standing dead oaks even though I try to clean off the dirt under the bark, chains stihl dull. Just my expereince with these trees.

Depending how much of it there is, the locust should definitely be worth it. It can last for many years without rotting. It might look awful on the outside, but it'll have a heart of gold ( yellow, actually... ). Stand it up and let it dry out and it'll be good to go after a few months or so.

The rest of it, probably not unless it's been off of the ground.

Depending how much of it there is, the locust should definitely be worth it. It can last for many years without rotting. It might look awful on the outside, but it'll have a heart of gold ( yellow, actually... ). Stand it up and let it dry out and it'll be good to go after a few months or so.

The rest of it, probably not unless it's been off of the ground.

Yes, but how much junk does he have to sort through to find the locust tree? I agree with the others it is a complete waste of time.

Yes, but how much junk does he have to sort through to find the locust tree? I agree with the others it is a complete waste of time.

Depends, depends, depends. Only he knows how much there is, how big the good stuff is, if it's on top, etc. Should he bring in heavy equipment just to turn the pile? Of course not, but I assume since he knows some of the species that some of it is right on top and worth getting, esp. since it's right next door. Like sunfish says, take the good and leave the other stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input. Actually, the best wood is on the top of the piles, while the rotten is on the ground. He has all of the wood pushed up into huge windrows, probably 15-20 of them. Just wondered if the rotten wood is worth the effort. I am going to take your advice, but I think I will at least offer to light off some piles of the no good stuff, if for nothing more than a thank you to the guy! If we have a winter like last year, a good snow and a bon fire might be kinda fun! Thanks guys!

The last wood I cut up was 2 big oak trunks one red and one white both were 26" - 30" in diameter and they have both been on the ground for 4 or 5 years. The outside 2 or 3" was rotten but the wood inside was fine and will be burn't. My point is check the bigger trees good as you may very well have alot of good wood there. I always cut a sample chunk and then try to split it with a maul usually good wood will split and rotten wood wil crumble.

Latest posts

Back