round files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save edge are about the best, three of us over here just spent over $1000 to get in a good supply ! so if they can post over to us Im sure they can sort you out.
Valorbe also a good file but don't seem to last as long as Save edge.

after sharping 5 times we chuck them

If you keep them clean and remove the filed cuttings they last more than five filings...

especially if you do this:::::
Tips On Using Files

•Always use a handle when using a file. Gently force the handle over the tang as far as it goes. Then tap it with a mallet until it is securely fastened.
•Apply pressure on the file only on the forward stroke, raise it on the return stroke. Failure to raise the file on return stroke will result in broken teeth.
•When starting with a brand new file, use only light pressure to “break the file in”. If possible, use the file on softer materials at first. Both of these tricks will give your file a longer life.
•Do not file too fast, you might effect the hardness of the files.
•The object to be filed and the file must be clean to prevent slipping.
•The object must be properly secured so it can not vibrate. Vibration can break off the tips of the sharp teeth.
•Cleaning of the file: For oil and grease use chalk and a file card. For metal shavings tap the file lightly or use a file card or a sharp metal blade. A natural bristle brush is the best way to clean a laminate file. For wood use boiling water and a file card (oil the file after cleaning)
Files are cutting tools with sharp edges, and they should be kept in a dry place away from other tools to avoid tooth breakage. A block of wood with holes on the wall is a good safe place for files.

Last edited:
I like Oregon files for the fact that they seem to have a more agresive bite, but the Stihl files seem to last longer. I have never tried Save Edge files but will have to give them a try.

If you keep them clean and remove the filings they last more than five filings... after ever time you file wipe the off on your pants back words 5 times is about it:msp_flapper:

Save Edge files are great. Definitely worth trying out.

An underrated and mostly unknown file that is great is the Mad Dog files marketed by the Forester/Timber Savage Company. Aggressive like the Save Edge, but a little cheaper. I believe I pay 12 bucks for a dozen.

If you keep them clean and remove the filings they last more than five filings...

especially if you do this:::::
Tips On Using Files

•Always use a handle when using a file. Gently force the handle over the tang as far as it goes. Then tap it with a mallet until it is securely fastened.
•Apply pressure on the file only on the forward stroke, raise it on the return stroke. Failure to raise the file on return stroke will result in broken teeth.
•When starting with a brand new file, use only light pressure to “break the file in”. If possible, use the file on softer materials at first. Both of these tricks will give your file a longer life.
•Do not file too fast, you might effect the hardness of the files.
•The object to be filed and the file must be clean to prevent slipping.
•The object must be properly secured so it can not vibrate. Vibration can break off the tips of the sharp teeth.
•Cleaning of the file: For oil and grease use chalk and a file card. For metal shavings tap the file lightly or use a file card or a sharp metal blade. A natural bristle brush is the best way to clean a laminate file. For wood use boiling water and a file card (oil the file after cleaning)
Files are cutting tools with sharp edges, and they should be kept in a dry place away from other tools to avoid tooth breakage. A block of wood with holes on the wall is a good safe place for files.

I don't know how many people drag the file back over the tooth. The file is uni-directional!!!

I don't know how many people drag the file back over the tooth. The file is uni-directional!!!

I think SOME files are uni-directional, don't think saw chain files are. If it didn't matter they wouldn't put an end on one side. My father was anal about filing, lift up on the back stroke he always said and then reset the file on the tooth and check the angle before the forward stroke AND rotate the file in the handle to use all of the teeth of the file evenly.

Save Edge here, they are really nice files, cut easy and do a good job.

Save Edge. I gave a friend of mine one whom has cut wood for years, and years, and he said it was the best file he has ever used.

Save Edge files are the best I've used or the best any of my customers that I've sold them to have used. Vallorbe are good as well but not up to the Save Edge.

Save Edge files are the best I've used or the best any of my customers that I've sold them to have used. Vallorbe are good as well but not up to the Save Edge.

I agree.

Save edge seems to remove material quickly, last long, and still give really sharp clean edge. They're the bomb for rocked chains, or chains that are previously ground and baked a bit.

Vallorbe, available under various guises (woodlandpro, stihl, oregon, windsor, husky, timbersavage, vallorbe itself, etc) are good files, definitely the runner up. They are good for chains that are not too badly damaged.

Pferd--I was not a fan. They got my chains sharp but they were dead in a hurry. not the choice for rocked chains either.

chinastar special from the chepot depot--you'd be better off getting a smooth metal rod.

I agree.

Save edge seems to remove material quickly, last long, and still give really sharp clean edge. They're the bomb for rocked chains, or chains that are previously ground and baked a bit.

Agreed although I do whimp out on the rocked chains and use the grinder ;) The guys I've sold them to have been well and truly convinced with the marketing hype. Although it's not really hype when it's true!

Vallorbe, available under various guises (woodlandpro, stihl, oregon, windsor, husky, timbersavage, vallorbe itself, etc) are good files, definitely the runner up. They are good for chains that are not too badly damaged.

Yup. People forget that the majority of files on the market are all made by Vallorbe so saying that this one is better than that one is BS. I've had a lot of them side by side and apart from the name stamped on them they are identical.

Pferd--I was not a fan. They got my chains sharp but they were dead in a hurry. not the choice for rocked chains either.

I love Pferd gear (as in cut off/grinder wheels etc) but their chainsaw files are crap. Like you I found they did not last at all and weren't cheap either.

I think SOME files are uni-directional, don't think saw chain files are. If it didn't matter they wouldn't put an end on one side. My father was anal about filing, lift up on the back stroke he always said and then reset the file on the tooth and check the angle before the forward stroke AND rotate the file in the handle to use all of the teeth of the file evenly.

Save Edge here, they are really nice files, cut easy and do a good job.

You shoud listen to yer Pops!!!! He is absolutely correct ,, and about evry 5 FORWARD stokes lighly tap the leading tip (smooth part) of the file against the side of your bar and you will see many of the cuttings fly out!!!! If you read my previous post,,, The things to do::: was copied straight from the Save Edge webpage!!!! Sorry no offense intended not Trying to rain on your parade...

Last edited:
Back