Round wood stacks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My piles aren't very neat but they should burn well next year, birch is becoming my favorite wood, note my cool noodling horse, made from an old barrier. image.jpg

I stumbled across this picture while AS was down and I've been trying to figure out how to make a similar stack ever since. Anyone have any ideas how this might have been done? I have a fair sized pile of 3" across and under sized wood that would work, but it really isn't cut in all that uniform of length.

T2fqUzL_zps36853dba.jpg
hot glue gun?

I'd heard Idaho was steep, but that's just nuts :laugh:

I like birch too. It ain't oak, but not everything needs to be. Works just fine in "normal" winter temps.

People in The Cities like it a lot too, and pay really well for it, it looks pretty next to the fireplace I guess.

:confused: Northern Idaho or the Panhandle as it is called has areas that are 2-way, up or down. I live on a 30 mile long lake that is surrounded by mountains some over 7000', the lake sits at 2400'. We have some areas with nice birch but not to much, we just happen to have ample birch on our property. Most folks burn buckskin Tamarack or Red Fir, when you can find it. We have and are getting more Beatle killed Red Fir so wood gathering future looks good, not good for the forest. A cord of nice birch can sell for $300, like you said looks nice by the stove. o_O

Could be that they cheated a bit. Maybe they cut some of the rounds short like 3-4 inches and use them for wedges at the outher end to induce the radius? Not likely that the radius could be made with natural taper of the wood. And then a neatly arranged core to support the stack.
I think there was a thread with exotic wood stacks a while ago. There was a bunch of mouth watering pictures of great wood stacks.

Motorsen

I'd heard Idaho was steep, but that's just nuts :laugh:

I like birch too. It ain't oak, but not everything needs to be. Works just fine in "normal" winter temps.

People in The Cities like it a lot too, and pay really well for it, it looks pretty next to the fireplace I guess.

Absolutely, you nailed it, it's like martha stewart class designer wood. Perfect white birch small rounds and real uniform splits with bark showing, sell like crazy in high rent areas. Stoopid nice loot. Used to help some pro firewood friends of mine way back, they'd haul a load into bean town and hump birch up elevators, into mansions, etc. Great coin for perfect looking wood.

Absolutely, you nailed it, it's like martha stewart class designer wood. Perfect white birch small rounds and real uniform splits with bark showing, sell like crazy in high rent areas. Stoopid nice loot. Used to help some pro firewood friends of mine way back, they'd haul a load into bean town and hump birch up elevators, into mansions, etc. Great coin for perfect looking wood.

What will we do to impress the neighbors :oops:

I think they started it in winter and stacked around a pile of snow. Come spring it melts away and wood stays plus it puts a "mold" to build around.

This stack if it was hollow it totally possible. Just think of an igloo. It may take time and patience but possible. I wouldn't want to unstack that pile to hear my house. I'd put right in the front yard as some cool lawn art, ya know plant some flowers around it and so on

T

Latest posts

Back