Rounded Leaves, Thick Bark, Yellow inside, Sap = ? (Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My Dad and brother grabbed some free wood from their neighbor who just cut a tree down. When I got there the first thing I noticed is the yellow... next thing was the sap all over my hands when loading.

I have a wood stove so concerned about the sap but more curious what kind of tree this is.

Do you guys have any thoughts? I was going to say Poplar but the sap is throwing me off.

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Last edited:
Any recognizable smell to it?

edit: Dogwood maybe?

Funny, but I have only taken standing dead dogwood or blowdowns, so no idea what color the fresh wood is.

Last edited:
I was also thinking a "fruit" tree like Pear but again, its the sap thats throwing me off. No distinctive smell to it, definetly no apple smell. The sap doesnt smell like Pine. Maybe a hybrid of something?

I think it looks like a Pine to me but the sap might be a fruit tree ? Hmmm.....

Pine don't have leaves

Definetly eliminated Pines and Everygreens after seeing the leaves. I'm Googling Osage Orange , bark looks the same on some images. I have to ask them if it made those orange balls.

Will repost when I find out. If it is Osage Orange , I assume from greendohm's comment, its great for wood stoves? Worried about creosote in flue from sap.

Definetly eliminated Pines and Everygreens after seeing the leaves. I'm Googling Osage Orange , bark looks the same on some images. I have to ask them if it made those orange balls.

Will repost when I find out. If it is Osage Orange , I assume from greendohm's comment, its great for wood stoves? Worried about creosote in flue from sap.

After it's properly bucked, split, stacked and air-dried, any sap will be a distant memory. Enjoy.

It looks a lot like osage orange/hedge/bois d'ark. Some of the bark looks a little different than the trees we have here, but the majority of it matches. If it were hedge there should be thorns on those resprouts.

As far as the sap, it is a thick, white sap-like substance that comes out of any cut to the bark or the ends while green. It will ruin a good pair of leather gloves. Once dried/seasoned, no issues at all.

Lastly, it makes up about 1/2 of what I burn in my fireplace insert. It is a little more difficult to get it going, but once it gets going will burn longer and hotter than most anything else. Our local Stihl dealer sold stoves and inserts prior to becoming a Stihl dealer and with the brands he sold it would void the warranty if you burned hedge due to the heat and possible damage to the stove/insert.

May sound crazy but im gonna go with a mature smokebush on this one. likely osage though.

Awesome guys! Was just cut so I'll split now and hopefully by January/February be ok.

Oneof many links about the Osage Orange trees. Interesting history on it.

Ohio Trees - Osage Orange

Maclura Pomifera...

Enjoy your heat...
And eat your wheaties before splitting...

Not all of these trees have thorns and bear the green "monkey brain" fruit, but most around here do.
:msp_wink:

Maclura Pomifera...

Enjoy your heat...
And eat your wheaties before splitting...

Not all of these trees have thorns and bear the green "monkey brain" fruit, but most around here do.
:msp_wink:

Certainly looks like it. I guess I have never cut any. I first guessed dogwood, but the dang bark was wrong as well. the bark on this tree in the pics is almost cherry like. That color threw me bad.

I am going to keep my peepers out for any, not to cut, but to grab seeds and start babies.

Certainly looks like it. I guess I have never cut any. I first guessed dogwood, but the dang bark was wrong as well. the bark on this tree in the pics is almost cherry like. That color threw me bad.

I am going to keep my peepers out for any, not to cut, but to grab seeds and start babies.

They're weeds... So don't go too Johnny Appleseed on us...

Oh, and by the way...
Don't worry about creosote burnin' Hedge...
It's a hot burning wood. Just make sure you can control your air, and you'll be fine...
Many a pot bellied stove has been warped cause they had no control of combustion air...
:rock:

Latest posts

Back