Rounded Leaves, Thick Bark, Yellow inside, Sap = ? (Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stuff you got is not Mulberry... I cut a lot of both... It's Hedge... Yes,, they are similar. Did you ever get the sap off your gloves???:msp_sneaky:

I didnt wear gloves. :msp_scared: LOL. Yeah, eventually it came off before I went to bed. That would suck waking up with a sappy pillow. :laugh:

I just split a piece... WOW! Look at the color inside. Thats amazing. It has a moderate scent but I cant make out what it resembles. And yes, the sap is mostly coming from the ring where it was cut but also on the bark where it wasnt.

Was very easy to split.

utf-8BSU1BRzA3NDkuanBn.jpg

I didnt wear gloves. :msp_scared: LOL. Yeah, eventually it came off before I went to bed. That would suck waking up with a sappy pillow. :laugh:

I just split a piece... WOW! Look at the color inside. Thats amazing. It has a moderate scent but I cant make out what it resembles. And yes, the sap is mostly coming from the ring where it was cut but also on the bark where it wasnt.

Was very easy to split.

utf-8BSU1BRzA3NDkuanBn.jpg

I'm also kind of leaning more towards Mulberry; you'll know if the yellow parts start to turn a reddish-brown as it dries. I looked at your pictures of the leaves last night and looked up Osage Orange in the "National Audobon Field Guide to North American Trees" and the leaves in that for Osage were more narrow and longer than the rounder ones in your picture-according to the book they more resembled Mulberry, I believe Red Mulberry but don't quote me on that. But trees/leaves can vary from region to region...and I know Mulberry splits very easily when green. I split some Osage a few months ago and it was strikingly yellow inside like this, so I guess what I am saying is "what the bleep is that"? lol....

Anyways, great score as you've good some primo stuff there!

Last edited:
Straight grained hedge will split fine for ya... Around here we have a hard time finding straight stuff, but that has more to do with growing environment than species... I'm cutting this weekend... I'll try to get some vid to post here.

This is Mulberry... Yellow? Yes... Look like Hedge? Ehhh... Sort of, but not really... Look at the grain and between growth rings...
225312d1329838600-mulberry-jpg

This is a stupid looking pile of hedge.. 1 week after splitting... Already turning golden brown...
Lot of BTU's under that POS boat...

225315d1329840980-btu-jpg

Look at the cambium layer of the noodled piece bottom right...
Also, it has been hot and dry here since that stack was made... It's dried out a lot, but still heavy as bricks...

Last edited:
This is just a random fish picture... Totally unrelated to anything... But ya gotta admit, that's a nice bass!!!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Cheater! I see the air hose you're using to pump that bass up!!!!

Nice fish. Lake of the Woods next weekend for me - I hope to come back with some Walleye, Pike, and Smallmouth pics (and fillets!)

:arg:

Couple more pics.. You guys got me excited now. lol The rest of the tree was laying in the backyard at their house in a pile of debris. Some was rotted so I told them to leave it. I might have to go salvage what was good.

Just amazed at the beauty of this. The scent is medicine like (?)(not sure if thats accurate).. My Dad said he somewhat remembers the cloud like balls on the tree.

utf-8BSU1BRzA3NTMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA3NTIuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA3NTEuanBn.jpg

Couple more pics.. You guys got me excited now. lol The rest of the tree was laying in the backyard at their house in a pile of debris. Some was rotted so I told them to leave it. I might have to go salvage what was good.

Just amazed at the beauty of this. The scent is medicine like (?)(not sure if thats accurate).. My Dad said he somewhat remembers the cloud like balls on the tree.

utf-8BSU1BRzA3NTMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA3NTIuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA3NTEuanBn.jpg

Okay call me crazy-it won't be the first or the last time-but that 1st picture looks like BOTH Mulberry (yellow) AND Osage Orange (reddish-brown)....are you sure that this is all from the same tree?

I haven't had much experience like others here have had with Osage but have a LOT of it with Mulberry; Mulberry is always yellow inside here in PA. and the Osage that I got and split a few months back was noticably a different shade of reddish-brown and I know for a fact that it is Osage 'cause I drive past it a lot and see the fruit. Does Osage have the two colors inside as it is growing by chance 'cause Mulberry's always yellow throughout until it starts to season; just trying to learn here....

Just wonderin....go ahead you can call me crazy it's okay! :hmm3grin2orange:

Okay call me crazy-it won't be the first or the last time-but that 1st picture looks like BOTH Mulberry (yellow) AND Osage Orange (reddish-brown)....are you sure that this is all from the same tree?

I haven't had much experience like others here have had with Osage but have a LOT of it with Mulberry; Mulberry is always yellow inside here in PA. and the Osage that I got and split a few months back was noticably a different shade of reddish-brown and I know for a fact that it is Osage 'cause I drive past it a lot and see the fruit. Does Osage have the two colors inside as it is growing by chance 'cause Mulberry's always yellow throughout until it starts to season; just trying to learn here....

Just wonderin....go ahead you can call me crazy it's okay! :hmm3grin2orange:

Yer not crazy... They're both yellow when fresh and tan with age...
These are Hedge limbs... About 12" to 16" in size. That furrowed bark you'll only find on bigger older trees.
222433d1328655158-trimming-trees-jpg

Look at the piece between the Mac and the bar on the Stihl... It's got that Cherry bark look... All came from different limbs off the same tree... A section of the trunk went to a GTG in Summersville MO...

Last edited:
Yer not crazy... They're both yellow when fresh and tan with age...
These are Hedge limbs... About 12" to 16" in size. That furrowed bark you'll only find on bigger older trees.
222433d1328655158-trimming-trees-jpg

Look at the piece between the Mac and the bar on the Stihl... It's got that Cherry bark look... All came from different limbs off the same tree... A section of the trunk went to a GTG in Summersville MO...

Well I don't know about the not crazy part but thanks and thanks for the great picture of Osage; I can see in it that there is certainly color variation from the same tree. Pretty amazing when you think about it!

I'm looking forward to using the Osage that I got from this guy's property months ago; I drive by it every so often and used to think "I'd like to get some of that to try-wonder if he'd let me cut a dead limb or so off of it" but never asked...then we had that carzy Halloween storm and it did the trimming for me. I got several nice rounds out of it, just enough to say that I can try Osage finally this upcoming Winter. As I parked there and was looking at it laying on the ground I was walking up to knock on the door and I was about 30 feet away from the door when it opened and the owner just said "yes you may"so I said "thank you" and went to work lol!! :clap:

Hedge trees can be a bit abusive to cut, but I'd rather tangle with them than these gems!!!
Got a lot of these that need eradicating around here... Burn good, but nobody wants to touch em'...
232881d1333986447-vile-tree-jpg

Damn things anyway...:msp_mad:

Hedge trees can be a bit abusive to cut, but I'd rather tangle with them than these gems!!!
Got a lot of these that need eradicating around here... Burn good, but nobody wants to touch em'...
232881d1333986447-vile-tree-jpg

Damn things anyway...:msp_mad:
That is one evil tree!

He said cloud like balls. Im definetly calling this smokebush now, like I did earlier in the thread.

Latest posts

Back