Roundup and trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have some poison ivy to kill, and some of it is climbing my trees. Can I spray Roundup on this stuff or will it hurt the trees? Trees are a variety - oak, cedar, sycamore, elm. A few Virginia pines, too.

I was going to ask the same question (putting roundup on the mulch around trees in this case).

FWIW, as for the PI on the trees around here (in NJ), they are huge and I chop through their 'trunks' (which are 3 inches thick sometimes) with a hatchet, and that's the end of that.

TreeCo said:
Roundup can do a lot of damage to young trees. On young trees the outer bark is still alive and roundup can kill it. On older trees the outer bark is not alive and roundup does no damage.

That's what I suspected, but I didn't want to find out the hard way that I was wrong! More bettah to ask first...

These are all mature trees, so I should be in good shape. It's a great combination - mature trees, young ivy.

Many thanks!

Hmmmm

I avoid round-up, especially with suckers and water spouts. Is "Finale" available to homeowners? Thats what I use for mulchrings.

No suckers, just Virginia Creeper and our old friend, poison ivy. I can see why it would be bad on suckers - that's part of the tree.

dean if your pI does not come back from the stump, just stand back and wait a minute. I dab concentrated roundup on the stumps. for the vines, the best method is to just pull them off the tree and pull the roots out of the ground.

Gorilla gardening. It's fun!:blob2: .

Latest posts

Back