royal palm: cracked trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foodforests

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. One of my neighbours has a royal palm, about 20 feet tall with a dbh of about a foot. It has a crack in the trunk that starts a little above the base and extends upwards about 7 or 8 feet. It is on the edge of the driveway so it looks like a truck ran into it at some time... The crack goes is pretty deep. I would guess that about 1/3 of the trunk has been compromised. The remaining 2/3's seems pretty solid.
Should this tree come down?

Hi,
It sounds like it needs to come down but a good picture would help..you say a truck reversed into it or something like that,i've seen them with cracks naturally occurring.

I was hoping we would have a picture by now but we havent so I have to leave this one to you Ekka,I'll be out of the tree's for a couple of weeks.
Fishin Time!!!!

Last edited:
Hmmm

A royal palm that's 20' tall would usually have a DBH approx 3' .... are you sure of the species?

Roystonea%20regia%20-%20Cuban%20Royal%20Palm%2010'-15'GW.JPG

Hmm. Well, no I'm not absolutely sure but I think it is a royal. Also, the dimensions were more estimates based on memory than accurate measurements.
A photo is a great idea, eh? I'll get onto it and get back to you!

Latest posts

Back