RS vs RSC Stihl Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jibber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Used up my stockpile of 3/8 .050 Rapid Super and went to the dealer looking for new chain. Found out Stihl no longer makes RS chain in 3/8 (whats up with that). The dealer recommended RSC (Rapid Super Comfort). The Stihl website says that the cutting characteristics are the same, but a pro cutter who was at the shop at the same time told me it's not as aggressive.

Anyone who uses RSC.. can you confirm or deny that? And if it's not as good a chain what options do you recommend?

Thanks for any info.. I did search the forum but couldn't find a direct answer.

The subject has come up quite a few times and I believe the consensus is that the RSC is equal to the RS in cutting speed.

Sure it is, the "less aggressive" part probably is because of the AV chassis, that makes it smoother in the cut (feature is copied from Oregon).

When I started buying Stihls I got my first taste of the RSC, I think the chain is super aggressive. More so that the Oregon chain I was used to. Seems harder too, holds and edge longer, takes more file strokes to remove the same amount of tooth.

When I started buying Stihls I got my first taste of the RSC, I think the chain is super aggressive. More so that the Oregon chain I was used to. Seems harder too, holds and edge longer, takes more file strokes to remove the same amount of tooth.

+1 and its the chain that I run on all of my cutting saws,around 25 or so production oriented saws currently in use. I used RS up until two years back and changed to RSC when the Stihl dealer recommended it to me.tried a couple loops for the 20" bars and then ordered in two hundred feet and been running it exclusively since. Tried it against LG and it is faster and lasts longer between sharpening in clean hardwood on my saws.
Pioneerguy600

Sure it is, the "less aggressive" part probably is because of the AV chassis, that makes it smoother in the cut (feature is copied from Oregon).

Read the book...Old Andreas paid a visit to the Oregon factory decades ago and copied the key elements of saw chain production...

Leave a door open and someone will walk through it...:)

What about RSC vs RSC3? It looks like the only difference is the slope on the raker.

I will avoid the RSC3 - it sort of is a copy of the Oregon LP etc design, but they kept the rakers too large, and made the ramps too large as well.

The lawyers won over the sawyers in the design team, it looks........:censored:

Anyway, it a step forward from the RM2 that it replaced.

Last edited:
:agree2:

For anyone with decent saw control the RSC is great chain...

Never used the RSC3...but the RM2 is a joke...

I like the RSC alot better than RS, it had been awhile since i used the RS and i just bought a new 28in bar and the only chain that they had was the RS so i thought, it has been along time since i used the RS maybe it is not as bad as i rember. I went and cut with it today and i can say i like the RSC ALOT better. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back