Run out of the box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED68

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just unwrapped my 5105. Looks like a need to get a tachometer to adjust the carb. I downloaded a good post on that. I don't think it should hurt it to run it out of the box on factory settings just to hear it sing. Make a small cut or two. Stir the neighbors. :rockn: Ps: the dealer said he puts 90 WT gear oil for chain lube in his own saw.

I was gonna ask why the dealer didn't set it up for you but maybe you are better off doing it yourself. Will that affect the warranty ?
A tank full of 90wt must last all day. LOL
Congrats on the new saw !

Last edited:
I just unwrapped my 5105. Looks like a need to get a tachometer to adjust the carb. I downloaded a good post on that. I don't think it should hurt it to run it out of the box on factory settings just to hear it sing. Make a small cut or two. Stir the neighbors. :rockn: Ps: the dealer said he puts 90 WT gear oil for chain lube in his own saw.

can't imagine why you would want to run gear oil, doesn't smell good new and stinks to high heaven used and it's awfully thick not to mention not good for the environment. As for the saw, you should be OK as long as it 4strokes outta the cut. Grats on the new saw:cheers:

I picked up a quart of stihl bar oil to run in it. When you say 4 stroke do you mean a pause rev series after the cut as the motor idols back down?

I picked up a quart of stihl bar oil to run in it. When you say 4 stroke do you mean a pause rev series after the cut as the motor idols back down?

That term "4 stroking' has me buggered too, and my pc is slower than molasses running down hill in Feb... In Feb in NH it is dammned slow..

What I 'think' it means is the rungggg rung rung sounds a 2 stroke makes when it is either slowing down, or setting in idle. This is so, as the low speed mix should be a tad richer than the page linked says.

If you do as that page says, you end up at best rpm, somewhere mid way of too lean and too rich, and at best idle.

Personally I consider that setting incorrect, but it's close. The last little bit IMO should be refined once again. This time bewteen best rpm, and overly rich, leaving the setting just to the rich side of best rpm.

This in general usually allows the excess fuel to be there when you want to rev the saw for a cut.

The excess fuel tends to cool the engine any other times.

A tech would have to run the saw out of the box and use it a little bit too, and then begin to set these same settings you can.

So it should be safe enough for you to mess about with your new saw.

With new 2 strokes I like to make the oil mix a bit oil rich as well. You sure don't want a overly lean oil mix anytime.

The way I do this, using husky oil for gas is to use a 2.5 gallon mix bottle to a 2 gallon gas tank. So far the husky 242 xp I bought used in 1990 has liked that mix, and has never once caused me any problem, and is a strong running little saw.

on edit: I wouldn't run 90 gear lube either, not even in Ga.

Last edited:
For just a few cuts, you should be fine. if you want to be really really safe, you can turn the H Jet fully counter clockwise to hit the limiter.

I'd be curious to find out what the saw tachs at, running on ethanol gas (assuming that's what you have in your area), at factory default settings...

Merry Christmas.

MGF

Since no one sofar has said it congratulation on the new saw!

edit: opps I just reread the first reply :laugh:

I think you will be OK for a few tanks if you take it easy and run a good mix. 93 octane with a 40-45-1 ratio of good syn oil and turn the h left as far as the limiter will let you should be safe untill its run in a little.
concrats by the way

Thanks to all for the congrats and help full posts on this. I'm going to wait till tomorrow on the test run. Need to pick up some synthetic oil to mix and all the stores are closed. I was concerned about the ethanol we have in our gas around here. 15% or so typically. I'm looking to grab a gallon of high octane AMOCO. It's almost clear and I don't think they cut it with ethanol.;)

Thanks to all for the congrats and help full posts on this. I'm going to wait till tomorrow on the test run. Need to pick up some synthetic oil to mix and all the stores are closed. I was concerned about the ethanol we have in our gas around here. 15% or so typically. I'm looking to grab a gallon of high octane AMOCO. It's almost clear and I don't think they cut it with ethanol.;)
sounds like you have a level head and I'm betting you will get many years of service out of it.If it has that funky folded over raker chain on it like mine did a good chain may be the next thing to consider.

Gear lube is the absolute last thing I'd put in a saw. I can not stand the smell of that stuff and if you get it in your clothes you may as well throw them away.

Best way to describe it, a high reving two stroking engine goes "eeeeeee", while if it's rich enough to four stroke when running full throttle at zero load, it's more like "braaap". You want it to braap out of the cut, then start to sing when the chain hits wood.

can't imagine why you would want to run gear oil, doesn't smell good new and stinks to high heaven used and it's awfully thick not to mention not good for the environment. As for the saw, you should be OK as long as it 4strokes outta the cut. Grats on the new saw:cheers:
+several million, That's the stinkines junk in the world, Right up there with doe in rut lure. Ain't no way i would ever put that nasty crap in my saw. Congrats on the new saw.

The 5105 meets wood

OK, I ended up with TEXICO 89 octane with 10% ethonal (thanks Atlanta) and a 45 to 1 synthetic ECHO mix. I checked the H setting and it was factory set all the way counter clockwise aginst the stop. Attached is a vidio clip of cut #4 of its new life on an old pine log. Don't know if the sound is jiveing with my expectations. Dosen't seem to be 4stroking out of the cut either. Any of you with a well trained ear I would like to hear your imput. PS my left leg was further back than it appears in the video.

Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfznWy9Gc_k

Sounds like it 4 stroking pretty good. Leave it that way till broken in. It may need to be readjusted when fully broken in. It's nice to see theyhave the limiter on so it can be made rich enough, they usually are too lean.

Yeah I agree,

it's 4 strokin' real nice. Wait til you get about 10 tanks through her, she will run better. Get some LGX or Woodland Pro so she can eat! I have the 2 loops that came with my saw, they aint too bad now that the little doggy ears got ground down. (too much, it's real grabby now)Love the duel felling dogs!

The saw is running fine for being new.
You could actually go a little leaner.
It looks like you are putting a pretty good load on it before it stops 4 stroking and it starts again immediately when you give it any relief.
he area between 35 seconds and 50 seconds is a great example of 4-2-4-2 stroking.

Congratulations on a fine saw.

Mike

Back