Run out of the box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the video

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GfznWy9Gc_k&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GfznWy9Gc_k&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Keep it the way it is for break-in and go cut wood!

if you want to make starting easier rather than holding down the top cover with your left hand you can insert your boot partway into the rear handle to maintain saws position while you use pullcord.

definitely running on the safe side, as rms said it's actually alittle on the rich side and is a good example for those interested on the difference between 2 and 4 strokin'(hummin'-gurgglin'-hummin'-gurgglin') nice looking saw there GL

it will begin to wake up after a few tanks,I have 18 tanks tru mine so its prob as broke in as its ever gonna be ,but I still keep markin the # with a sharpie. Smooth saw, huh?

I've got to get some pointy toed boots cause these biscut head 14's would'nt get a grip in that handle hole.:) I was conserned that the chain oil pump was'nt working at first. I held it over a sheet of cardbord for about 15 - 30 seconds running and did not see any oil spray then it started spraying faint. Figured it needed some time to catch being new saw and all. Adjusted the feed screw 1 click and it started rolling out like circus clowns so I set it back where it was. As a rule, whats a healthy rate on that for chian and bar life?

I have mine set where you see a little spray in a couple of seconds. That saw looks and sounds good.

I just try to set mine to where the fuel and bar oil tanks both run out at about the same time.
Quite often I just open them up wide open and let 'er eat.

Mike

I've got to get some pointy toed boots cause these biscut head 14's would'nt get a grip in that handle hole.:) I was conserned that the chain oil pump was'nt working at first. I held it over a sheet of cardbord for about 15 - 30 seconds running and did not see any oil spray then it started spraying faint. Figured it needed some time to catch being new saw and all. Adjusted the feed screw 1 click and it started rolling out like circus clowns so I set it back where it was. As a rule, whats a healthy rate on that for chian and bar life?
if I'm just knockin limbs off middle, bar burried full

Cut # 8 in that hard old pine lighterd stump and frap. Their went the chain. Bent the catch on the bottom up. Straitened it out. Guide teeth got bent up a little and had to file to get them back in the bar groove. Still has friction though. Probably just get another chain. I don't like that loopy one anyway.

back to the "out of box" condition. first, if i were a dealer, i'd never let one go without a tuning.

my local (long-time dolmar) dealer says that lots and lots of saws are coming from the factory way too lean...an invitation to a short short saw life.

so congrats, know your burbles, and enjoy. i never had no new dolmar...

Last edited:
Congrats on the new saw! And thank you for that great vid. I've always been a bit confused about 4 stroking and the audio that someone posted has never helped me. But with audio/visual I now know what I'm looking/listening for.

Cut # 8 in that hard old pine lighterd stump and frap. Their went the chain. Bent the catch on the bottom up. Straitened it out. Guide teeth got bent up a little and had to file to get them back in the bar groove. Still has friction though. Probably just get another chain. I don't like that loopy one anyway.
I sure wood like to help you pick a couple or 3 chains from our sponser and all time bestest friend, baileys, if thats not being too pushy.Since its 64 d/l no premade loops anyway, sos get a loop of 30/lp and a couple of oregons in lpx and lgx, then you can rotate and evaluate off the reel and decide from 3 excellent chains what you like best. Lots of guys don't like the lp because of the bumpered drive link but the best way is to check it for yourself and decide. I have my favorite but its like an ahole and don't mean much. Also if you wanna see what a 50cc saw can really do try a loop of cl. You can round file it once it goes dull and have anouther lg. Like I said don't wanna be pushy, LOL.

Thanks JW and all who posted on this. I've been looking at chain posts and heading to the Bailey site now. Going to get an LGX for sure and maybe try some others mentioned. I hate to trash the factory chain with 8 cuts but I don't want to mess up a new bar either.

Thanks JW and all who posted on this. I've been looking at chain posts and heading to the Bailey site now. Going to get an LGX for sure and maybe try some others mentioned. I hate to trash the factory chain with 8 cuts but I don't want to mess up a new bar either.
hate it about your chain but at least you didnt hurt the new saw

I just ordered an Oregon 72 LGX and a WoodlandPro 30RC (in stock w/ 64 links) from Baileys. Hope it will make it here by the weekend. They don't carry air filters.; Need a spare to swap out and keep clean. I will make cuts in the same log and post the videos.:greenchainsaw:

If you have a dremel tool you can lightly go over the tattered up drivers a use the chain. I takes a little time but works good

4 strokin'

Best way to describe it, a high reving two stroking engine goes "eeeeeee", while if it's rich enough to four stroke when running full throttle at zero load, it's more like "braaap". You want it to braap out of the cut, then start to sing when the chain hits wood.

+1

I liken it to when she sings soooo smooth out of the cut, high revin' high pitch whine like a high perfomance snow machine.... it's too lean!

she should sound like it's slowing down to 3/4 throttle immediately (only sounds like it) but when it digs into wood, it smooths out again to that nice smooth whine, only lower RPM then with WideOpenThrottle (WOT) out of the cut.

I'd take the time to download the .wav files from Madsens as mentioned above, and listen carefully... they aren't the best but good. Also try to download some video in other threads on 4 stroking! some video on here is top-shelf and easy to hear! especially if you use ear-buds from a mp3 player on the computer!

Good Luck!

Baileys let me down. Ordered 2 chains last monday, they called back on Tuesday and said they need billing zip code for card so gave it to them. Following Monday still no chains. No cutting over New Years. Called them and order still on hold, need billing zip code. Should have done it on Internet to start with v/s calling. Cancelled order and got lucky with a local dealer with (1) 72 LGX with 64 links. THE CHIPS WERE FLYING !!!! Man what a difference. I've burned a tank of gas and ready for the woods. My father has a 140 acre farm and had a fire break out several years ago. The fire went to the tree tops and killed about 3 1/2 acres befor they could stop it. Good size pines and oaks. Time to lay em down and cut em up. Going to order a backup chain and spark plug. Not from Baileys.

sorry to hear that! never a problem with bailey's. but then again a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then. don't write them off, they have good customer service and a large suppy of things you didn't even know you needed.

Back