Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I’ve been pretty quiet in here cause I have been doing the odd ugly load by quad but that’s gona change soon cause I got a replacement engine for my wood truck. It wasn’t dead but wasn’t far from it either.

I found a complete driving 86 F150 for $500 Kanukistan peso’s .... so about $8.72 US .... so in the mean time ...

Keep On .... Runnin’ Load’s

Ya I’ve been pretty quiet in here cause I have been doing the odd ugly load by quad but that’s gona change soon cause I got a replacement engine for my wood truck. It wasn’t dead but wasn’t far from it either.

I found a complete driving 86 F150 for $500 Kanukistan peso’s .... so about $8.72 US .... so in the mean time ...

Keep On .... Runnin’ Load’s

If it was 250 I would have given what you paid for the truck just for the rims

If it was 250 I would have given what you paid for the truck just for the rims

If you come up here I have 3 or 4 sets of 8 lug ford steel rims cause they are universal because the hub hole is the largest and fit any 8 on 6.5, GM’s are the smallest and only fit GM’s.

Keep on .... Runnin’ Load’s !!

If you come up here I have 3 or 4 sets of 8 lug ford steel rims cause they are universal because the hub hole is the largest and fit any 8 on 6.5, GM’s are the smallest and only fit GM’s.

Keep on .... Runnin’ Load’s !!
Thanks for the offer . Little far for rims

Game and Fish department along with some volunteers from the Mule Deer Foundation did a clean up of some public land along the river here in ND. I stopped and asked if they'd be alright with us hauling some loads out for firewood and they said take as much as we can! this is the first load we hauled out... Should have brought the skidsteer.... the trailer and the cummins could have easily hauled twice as much as we loaded, but we weren't about to try muscling up any more of the big stuff on top of the logs already on the trailer... Looks to be about 4 or 5 more loads in the piles we were pulling from. I'm new to this stuff, so I'm not the greatest at identifying trees without any leaves on them... We are thinking this was mostly some sort of Ash, with a bit of cottonwood mixed in..

Attachments

• logs.jpg
    logs.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 19
Game and Fish department along with some volunteers from the Mule Deer Foundation did a clean up of some public land along the river here in ND. I stopped and asked if they'd be alright with us hauling some loads out for firewood and they said take as much as we can! this is the first load we hauled out... Should have brought the skidsteer.... the trailer and the cummins could have easily hauled twice as much as we loaded, but we weren't about to try muscling up any more of the big stuff on top of the logs already on the trailer... Looks to be about 4 or 5 more loads in the piles we were pulling from. I'm new to this stuff, so I'm not the greatest at identifying trees without any leaves on them... We are thinking this was mostly some sort of Ash, with a bit of cottonwood mixed in..

Go hard, I say. I had access to a farm where the (lady) owner didn't care how much I scrounged before the sale date. No matter how much I was hurting, I was always thinking "go scrounge some more" because the time would come when I would be struggling for wood. That was 2016 and I'm stihl burning wood from that farm.

Go hard, I say. I had access to a farm where the (lady) owner didn't care how much I scrounged before the sale date. No matter how much I was hurting, I was always thinking "go scrounge some more" because the time would come when I would be struggling for wood. That was 2016 and I'm stihl burning wood from that farm.

That's where I'm at. This year the BLM firewood area was super close to my house, usually it's much further away. I stocked up, several years of wood on hand now.

Spending hours at the splitter, going why am I doing this? Sure it's cheap but it's been SO MUCH TIME and a ton of pellets is a couple hundred bucks and one trip into town with the truck.

It's a lot of time because it's multiple years worth, and all the work being done this year. I won't have to do this again for several years.

I fully intend to go clean up the rest of that pile. I should also add that, about 1/2 mile up the road there was some other piles, on state land, that we can pull from too, but there is no way to get to them without walking through a fair amount of water and rutting stuff up really bad if we try to take a piece of equipment in... There was ALOT of wood in those piles... The main pile was probably 10'tall or taller, and 500' long..... and it was big stuff mostly. Looked to be a lot of cottonwood which isn't necessarily the best wood to burn in an OWB, but it'll do since the price is right.... Just need the ground to dry up some... We could probably haul non stop with my trailer for 10 days straight and barely make a dent in that pile....

When I bought this place, there were three large cottonwoods that were coming down. I just sped up the process a bit and made sure it was on my schedule, not Murphy's. In a list of 40+ species of firewood ranked by BTU/cord, cottonwood rated dead last. That said, it was here already and the trees were coming down already. When wet it weighed like concrete, and when splitting water ran out like wringing out a sponge. Wouldn't dry out the slightest bit setting on the ground, had to be split and stacked off the ground under cover. Stank terribly when split, all that surface area exposed. Once seasoned, it weighed like balsa and took a flame really easily, didn't smell at all. Burned fast, made lots of ash.

I wouldn't buy cottonwood firewood, I wouldn't haul it, but what was here kept us warm for ~3 years. We were thankful for it, being broke after buying the house.

When I bought this place, there were three large Cottonwoods that were coming down. I just sped up the process a bit and made sure it was on my schedule, not Murphy's. In a list of 40+ species of firewood I saw ranked by BTU/cord, cottonwood rated dead last. That said, it was here already and the trees were coming down already. When wet, it weighed like concrete and when splitting it water ran out like wringing out a sponge. Wouldn't dry out the slightest bit setting on the ground, had to be split and stacked off the ground under cover. Stank terribly when split, all that surface area exposed. Once seasoned, it weighed like balsa and took a flame really easily, didn't smell at all. Burned fast, made lots of ash.

I wouldn't buy cottonwood firewood, I wouldn't haul it, but what was here kept us warm for ~3 years. We were thankful for it, being broke after buying the house.

I hear ya, I know its not ideal, but here in ND our state tree is the telephone pole so I have to take what I can get. I'm fairly certain I'll be able to source some logs from the 2 local guys that do tree removal, in fact, the one guy may even deliver the rounds directly to my 5 acre chunk of land for us instead of him having to pay to dispose of it at the dump... The other guy cuts the trees into rounds and leaves it up to the homeowner to dispose of. All that being said, I still have to be prepared and haul whatever I can get my hands on for the time being until I have a decent stockpile. We are hoping to get the house built and moved on this summer, so I need to be hustling to get ahead as much as possible.

I hear ya, I know its not ideal, but here in ND our state tree is the telephone pole so I have to take what I can get. I'm fairly certain I'll be able to source some logs from the 2 local guys that do tree removal, in fact, the one guy may even deliver the rounds directly to my 5 acre chunk of land for us instead of him having to pay to dispose of it at the dump... The other guy cuts the trees into rounds and leaves it up to the homeowner to dispose of. All that being said, I still have to be prepared and haul whatever I can get my hands on for the time being until I have a decent stockpile. We are hoping to get the house built and moved on this summer, so I need to be hustling to get ahead as much as possible.

I hear you; if that's what we had available here that's what I'd haul too. Good luck, brother.

Well the wife and I went out for some 4fts and kibbles to burn off tonight cause it’s only 30ish here right now. Spent couple hrs in the fresh air ...
8B927F3C-ABFF-44CB-A72A-371820AA8E64.jpeg
... the ride out didn’t go as planned. Since we came in from one side of the bush and tried going out one of our cut roads we haven’t been down since fall.... too much snow & too load !!
View attachment IMG_0692.MOV

Ya dope on a rope syndrome was had!!
Keep on ... Runnin’ Load’s !!

Back