Running a OWB on Solar Power or Other power supply?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone rigged their Outside Water Stove to operate on solar power, wind power or other sources so that when there is a power outage this resource can kick in to run the pumps. I know you can easily use a generator but was looking for another source. Thanks.

Why limit it to just when there's a power outage? If you're going to have something that you know will work when there's a power outage (which may be at night or when the wind's not blowing), then you're going to have to have provisions for electrical storage anyway. You can get switches that will allow you to run off the solar or wind when it's available, all the while keeping batteries charged. When the solar or wind aren't available, you could run off line power or off the batteries (though you wouldn't want to run the batteries down in case you lost line power).

habanero; were you the guy on the local news channel with the OWB and the power generator windmill? That guy stated he was sending power back to the power grid most of the time and most of his electric bills were negative numbers, meaning the power company was paying him. He was powering everthing in his house but I do not remember where in the Y-town area he was from.

habanero; were you the guy on the local news channel with the OWB and the power generator windmill? That guy stated he was sending power back to the power grid most of the time and most of his electric bills were negative numbers, meaning the power company was paying him. He was powering everthing in his house but I do not remember where in the Y-town area he was from.

Nope, not me. I've kicked around the idea of a wind turbine, but our acreage is kind of down in a bit of a lowland with tall timber all around me (that I don't own, unfortunately). So, we even when the wind is blowing hard, you'd need an awfully tall tower to get any benefit from it.

Has anyone rigged their Outside Water Stove to operate on solar power, wind power or other sources so that when there is a power outage this resource can kick in to run the pumps. I know you can easily use a generator but was looking for another source. Thanks.

I'm checking out an open house at a CB (Central Boiler) dealer this weekend. I'll ask him if he has any clients doing it. last year this same dealer dealer / owner said that the juice needed for the CB OWB was minimal. I don't know if they were talking electric bill or solar potential.

Not sure what it takes to run the house furnace part of it?

I heard of someone using a deep cycle marine battery used for a trolling motor from a boat. They hooked up one of those power inverters to it, that you plug into a ciggaratte lighter.

Now I use a small solar panel to keep a 6 volt battery charged for my deer feeder in the back yard.

I'd imagine that if you hooked up several of these solar panels to charge up a deep cycle 12 volt battery and hooked that up to a power inverter , then plugged your blower motor and pump into that, you could at least run the OWB with that set up. ( talk about your run on sentences:confused: )

Last edited:
In a power outage, you would need a battery/supply that would also run the circulator pump in the house too? Right? Or, since they are hooked up together, both should spin together. I have a small solar trickle charger for the ATV in the winter. ( have not used it yet ) But, the idea of keeping a deep celled battery topped off just might work.:clap: :cheers:

Lost power this morning,genny wouldnt start :censored: ,I ended up using a 400 watt inverter to power the OWB,it worked although I'm not sure if the stove uses more than 400.I'll have to check that out tonight.

Lost power this morning,genny wouldnt start :censored: ,I ended up using a 400 watt inverter to power the OWB,it worked although I'm not sure if the stove uses more than 400.I'll have to check that out tonight.

Probably doesn't.

Pumps pull on average 75-150 (depends on the model and setting, if multi-speed) watts.

If you have a solenoid for a damper, figure 40-100 watts for that.

Any lighting, add up the wattage of the bulbs.

Your furnace blower is going to pull quite a bit more, especially at start-up. Check it's motor ratings plate for details.

Find the current draw, multiply times 120 for wattage. Add up the wattage requirements.

Steve

I didnt power the house blower with it,just the OWB(pump,2 solenoids and 2 draft blowers)I just wanted to keep the water warm and circulating.

Power was out for 2 hours -10 outside.Main floor dropped from 73 to 64,basement was below 50.I think I'm gonna(dont shoot me)install one of those vent free propane heaters in the basement,in case this happens again.

I do like the idea of setting up the pumps and lights to run full time from an alternate supply.

If you are going to go to the additional expence you might as well be getting the most out of it all the time instead of the occasionl power outage.

Instead of stepping up the voltage from your storage batteries, through an inverter, what about running the lights off 12 volts. RV camper supply stores may be able to help out with the lighting. Farm supply stores have 12v fuel/water pumps that may do the trick. Use the electric grid as back up for when the wind dies down for 3-4 days or the sun stays behind the clouds.

Your alternate supply ( excluding batteries ) will probably have to be able to carry 2-3x the load required under normal operation. The extra power to be used for maintaining the system for nighttime operation, if solar, and to recharge the batteries for/after 'short days'.

Somebodies sig line says "Fate favors the prepared" , I tend to agree.

This is what I am looking to get in a couple of years.
http://www.skystreamenergy.com/
I have 60 acres on a Hill and have the perfect location for one. But I don't think just one will take me off the grid, I may need 2 of those things. As soon as my OWB pays for it self that is my next step.

A guy I know is building/designing a different type of windmill,he wont give me any clues as to how it works or looks justs says its "different"
He is almost ready to file for a patent.

I'm hoping that he'll let me be the sales rep/demo guy for Mid-Mich. :monkey:

A guy I know is building/designing a different type of windmill,he wont give me any clues as to how it works or looks justs says its "different"
He is almost ready to file for a patent.

I'm hoping that he'll let me be the sales rep/demo guy for Mid-Mich. :monkey:

Keep us posted on that one.

I could see this working. Set up a small woodshed next to your OWB with proper roof orientation to catch sunlight. Set a solar panel on the roof and a small critter-proof enclosure within the woodshed (maybe even use one of those small metal garden sheds to match the OWB) and put a half-dozen good deep-cycle batteries in it. Use the batteries to power an inverter to run one or more circulation pumps, solenoid, blower and lighting. Probably need 750-1000 total watts of power if everything is on. A big enough solar panel and enough batteries, your OWB system could be completely off-grid, in a worst-case scenario of component failure, you plug the system into a generator. Everything in your house would still be on-grid but in the case of a power outage, you still have hot water circulating and a "normal" cycle 100% of the time.

I like the ideas this group comes up with. :)

Latest posts

Back