Running chainsaws (and other twostrokes) on E85

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean - Just out of curiosity, does the power company give you the same price per kWh that they charge you? In other words, if you use 500 kWh and "give back" 100 kWh during low-demand days, do they only charge you for 400 kWh?

So let's say you "made" 500 kWh and used 500 kWh in a given month, but half the time you were drawing power and half the time you were putting it back on the grid. Would your bill be zero (aside from maybe some service charges)?
Yes my exported electric is bought back at the same price they charge me for it. My line service charge is $8.74 a month. We typically export more then we use. It's "banked" for the winter months. Met ed runs a year cycle instead of sending checks every month for production. I have my own metering system and report meter readings monthly for our srec credits so we keep after it pretty well. It's not a get rich thing, but we expect the system to pay itself off in 10 years.

Your good at typing. go use Google and get some phone numbers of solar companies and get quotes.
I asked you for YOUR EXPERIENCE, There is zero need to be a smartmouth. How in the world would I know who your power company is? How would I know who you bought your system from/? Look at what I asked for and stop with the snarky comments

I have another random thought. There is a growing argument that we should not be using corn to make fuel as it should be used for food. Now these same folks are pushing solar. Just exactly where is it that all these solar panels should be installed?

The same Enviro Whackos that wanted solar in the first place are now protesting. I have been telling people this would happen for years. Here in Utah, THey have put them up all over the place, And it really does mess up the views of this beautiful place, Where were the enviro hippies at when they ruined all of the habitat to put these solar fields up? Well I guess their slow Berkely educated minds finally figured that one out, DUH!

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=protesting+solar+fields

I am just wondering where the solar folks want all these panels placed. That does not mean I am anti solar. It does not mean II am anti-wind. It does not mean I am anti EV. I am just looking for a simple answer to a simple question. I really doubt I will ever get it though as well I guess I will stop there............. Those who drive EV's why don't you put a solar panel on the roof? Oh yeah because it would need to be 3 times the size of the car

I am just wondering where the solar folks want all these panels placed. That does not mean I am anti solar. It does not mean II am anti-wind. It does not mean I am anti EV. I am just looking for a simple answer to a simple question. I really doubt I will ever get it though as well I guess I will stop there............. Those who drive EV's why don't you put a solar panel on the roof? Oh yeah because it would need to be 3 times the size of the car
Southern Nevada is a desert wasteland for miles on end, And so is most of California north of Barstow all the way to Las Vegas, There is plenty of places to put them. The most logical place is atop of the roofs of homes, But the electric company doesn't want that because they would have to give you some control over it, And they want to make it only profitable to them. My friend in Ca put up solar in 2014 and he had a cheap monthly service charge and no electric bill and was producing more than he could use and got around $1500.00 per year check from edison, Now they are changing the rules because they don't like paying people or people not paying them.

Southern Nevada is a desert wasteland for miles on end, And so is most of California north of Barstow all the way to Las Vegas, There is plenty of places to put them. The most logical place is atop of the roofs of homes, But the electric company doesn't want that because they would have to give you some control over it, And they want to make it only profitable to them. My friend in Ca put up solar in 2014 and he had a cheap monthly service charge and no electric bill and was producing more than he could use and got around $1500.00 per year check from edison, Now they are changing the rules because they don't like paying people or people not paying them.
Well I will look at this in a few parts.

You say ......................Southern Nevada is a desert wasteland for miles on end, And so is most of California north of Barstow all the way to Las Vegas, There is plenty of places to put them.....................

Well if it is so barren what is population in the area that can be service my massive solar panels? I know some think California is the only state in the United States but they are sadly wrong.

You say ......The most logical place is atop of the roofs of homes,............

Well that may work for that individual home. Once again I know a lot of folks have this cookie cutter idea of things but there are millions that do not live in homes but still use electricity. What about shops, factories, and businesses? Where are they putting the panels?

The reason that power generation such as the Hoover dam, nuclear plants, and coal fired plants work is because they can provide a massive amount of power to a massive amount of folks. You can argue the damm takes up a lot of space and it does. You cannot argue coal and nuclear plants do. Look at the amount of power generated by a nuclear plant versus the acres of land it consumes. Now look at the number of acres of solar panels it would take to produce that same amount of power.

Well I will look at this in a few parts.

You say ......................Southern Nevada is a desert wasteland for miles on end, And so is most of California north of Barstow all the way to Las Vegas, There is plenty of places to put them.....................

Well if it is so barren what is population in the area that can be service my massive solar panels? I know some think California is the only state in the United States but they are sadly wrong.

You say ......The most logical place is atop of the roofs of homes,............

Well that may work for that individual home. Once again I know a lot of folks have this cookie cutter idea of things but there are millions that do not live in homes but still use electricity. What about shops, factories, and businesses? Where are they putting the panels?

The reason that power generation such as the Hoover dam, nuclear plants, and coal fired plants work is because they can provide a massive amount of power to a massive amount of folks. You can argue the damm takes up a lot of space and it does. You cannot argue coal and nuclear plants do. Look at the amount of power generated by a nuclear plant versus the acres of land it consumes. Now look at the number of acres of solar panels it would take to produce that same amount of power.
I think you are forgetting that it doesn't matter where the power is generated at, It all goes into the grid, The power you are using at your farm may have been partially produced in Mexico, As we do buy electricity from Mexico, Hell for that matter you may have even benefited from the power that Sean Donato has produced at some point:surprised3:
:surprised3:

Here is a solar steam plant on the ca/nevada border, When you drive past it it practically blinds you, And it's in a desolate area.
1655575840796.png

I think you are forgetting that it doesn't matter where the power is generated at, It all goes into the grid, The power you are using at your farm may have been partially produced in Mexico, As we do buy electricity from Mexico, Hell for that matter you may have even benefited from the power that Sean Donato has produced at some point:surprised3:
Yea it does matter where it's produced. Transmission losses, grid voltage stability and all.

No, It does matter and I guess we will have to disagree with that. I love those that talk about the "grid" as if it is some majical highway. Electricity is a proven science and it surely does matter where it is generated. I will ask you this. Can a generating station in Illinois feasibly send electricity to California. Can a solar farm in California feasibly send power to Illinois?

Your argument has a few flaws. You probably aren't allowing for the truly massive scale of land involved with the mining of coal and nuclear fuel. Add those square miles into your reasoning.

Oh, dear! Flip-side arguemnt for all the mining for materials that goes into solar panels...

In the final analysis, no other energy source requires as few resources, human investment, and technology as hydroelectric. But that is a somewhat limited resource, as there are only so many places you can dam up the water and get energy back out. Said dams do cause significant environmental damage, too.

Electricity produced at hoover dam, Hundreds of miles from Los Angeles is used in Los Angeles and all points in between. That's why there are transmission lines from there to Los Angeles.

The power from Sean, Was a joke, I can't explain my jokes. People in his neighborhood are definitely using some of his power.

Your argument has a few flaws. You probably aren't allowing for the truly massive scale of land involved with the mining of coal and nuclear fuel. Add those square miles into your reasoning.

Oh, dear! Flip-side arguemnt for all the mining for materials that goes into solar panels...

In the final analysis, no other energy source requires as few resources, human investment, and technology as hydroelectric. But that is a somewhat limited resource, as there are only so many places you can dam up the water and get energy back out. Said dams do cause significant environmental damage, too.
You point out some things but with all due respect your argument also has some flaws

1) As for the massive scale of land involved in coal mining you forget that land is not taken out of use for other things. Believe or not Illinois is the #4 coal producing state. We had strip mines south of me that are mined out and are now back to farmland. Down in southern Illinois is longwall mining. I am not familiar with it so those that are can add more but in most cases that is down in areas that have little other use and STILL does not disturb the upper layer. I can say my grandfather mined coal on our land up until 1950. The cows pastured on that ground and still do.

2) Coal that is mined in one location is easily transported to another location to fire a coal power plant. That is done over existing infrastructure and yes takes fuel but does not take land out of production. Can you say that about solar farms. I asked before. Can solar power generated in California we utilized in Illinois?

3) I do not know anything about nuclear fuel mining so educate me.

4)As for mining in general it gets a real bad rap. Some is earned rightfully. some is not. Over on the Iowa side south of me is a huge USG wallboard plant. They mine gypsum. You could not tell there was any mining going on at all. Drive by take a look. It is all underground. On top of the "mine" it is 250 bushel corn growing on $16,000 acre ground. How is that wrong.

5) As for hydroelectric I am just waiting for someone to say"why don't the locks and dams along the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers have hydroelectric plants. There are 29 dams on the Mississippi with two producing power the illinois has none producing power. Spoiler.....There is a reason

Electricity produced at hoover dam, Hundreds of miles from Los Angeles is used in Los Angeles and all points in between. That's why there are transmission lines from there to Los Angeles.

The power from Sean, Was a joke, I can't explain my jokes. People in his neighborhood are definitely using some of his power.
Last I checked I was more than hundreds of miles from California or Nevada. Power generated there does not reach me

Latest posts

Back