Running engines at half throttle??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy the BS is getting deep in this thread!
If an engine blows up at half throttle, then something else was wrong. It won't over heat from half throttle, less speed = less fuel/less work = less heat to dissipate.
If an engine bogs at half throttle, give it more throttle.
If a tool/machine works best at full throttle, run it there, if not, then don't.
Bout all I got to say about that...

Agreed. Neglect comes to mind when a motor fails. Usually not always.
If an engine blows up at half throttle, then something else was wrong. It won't over heat from half throttle, less speed = less fuel/less work = less heat to dissipate.
If an engine bogs at half throttle, give it more throttle.
If a tool/machine works best at full throttle, run it there, if not, then don't.
Bout all I got to say about that...
Yep tune and timing and bad oil is the factors of overheating sometimes valve lash too

I've seen lots of stuff pass through my hands that never had a oil change just keep adding oil or sometimes and flooding carb can kill the oil but yet it still looks like oil

If the engine is not under a constant heavy load it's ok to throttle them back. Less fuel and less noise.

Exactly my thoughts.

I have the rounds stacked on pallets, they come off the pallet to the splitter 3- 4' away and the splits are stacked immediately. Slightly more time consuming but the wood is only handled once. Hence the splitter is not in constant use.

Exactly my thoughts.
I have the rounds stacked on pallets, they come off the pallet to the splitter 3- 4' away and the splits are stacked immediately. Slightly more time consuming but the wood is only handled once. Hence the splitter is not in constant use.
The wood is "only handled once"?? How do the rounds get on the pallet? Then it has to get to the stove too... lol

SR

So, YOU buy the rounds on a pallet, split it and put it back on a pallet? Cause, putting the rounds on a pallet is handling it one time, then splitting it, is handling it a second time... And, some would say taking it off the splitter and putting the splits on a pallet is handling it a third time...

SR

Also half throttle causes massive carbon buildup
I am not an expert myself, but from what I was told in my early days with motorcycles by an expert ( pro road racer and short track-motorcycle dealer) as long as the engine was under load it would burn cleaner, and hottest was when letting off the throttle which I at least once experienced seizure when letting off myself. I was with the understanding the richest burning was wide open not under load.

Deep in the cuts I aim to keep wide open, nearing the end I feather the throttle to control the shape and effect of the hinge. If to much wood is holding I may gun her , bucking I slow down coming out of the cut for control reasons. No problems with carbon or overheating the way I use mine. tune and maintainence is most my concern.

I'm fairly certain the engine itself isn't the issue, it's primarily the centrifugal clutch. Saw manufacturers want the engine at full RPM during cutting to ensure that the clutch isn't slipping on the rim. The heat buildup from a slipping clutch will certainly damage a saw.

Also remember - with a saw, the fuel carries the lubrication for the engine with it, so since the carb is calibrated to be either WOT or idle, so you have to give it the beans.

4 cycle OPE doesn't have this issue, so partial throttle is ok, and is a lot quieter. I run my splitter at 2/3-3/4 throttle for easier splitting stuff, and it sips fuel, but when I get into the gnarly stuff, I open it up all the way.

So, YOU buy the rounds on a pallet, split it and put it back on a pallet? Cause, putting the rounds on a pallet is handling it one time, then splitting it, is handling it a second time... And, some would say taking it off the splitter and putting the splits on a pallet is handling it a third time...

SR

Rounds are unloaded from a trailer to the pallets when it is parked within 2'. The splittter is pulled up very close to the stacked rounds, then split and restacked. I am just an old retired guy who plods along.
Note the makeshift log table.:chop:
Here you'll get the idea:

2v00l6w.jpg

2dl3zmw.jpg

13zqwz6.jpg

You don't do bad for old feller. :envy:

Trust me when I tell you that the amount of movement is kept to a minimum. I cut up a lot of log cut offs and when my logger buddies are in town I don't load the trailer either, this takes about 3 min.

2yulogl.jpg

n36l8w.jpg

If it's real big, just cut into rounds and roll into trailer. Always park within 3' of the pile. Note, always take the hardwood and not some of the crap in this pile.

2a9wlkz.jpg

No BS...

Running a small, air-cooled, non-pressure lubed, 4-cycle engine at anything short of full throttle is detrimental to its health... and because of the governor setup, it will often actually use more fuel, not less. Small, splash-lubed, air-cooled, 4-cycle engines are designed to run at full throttle... that's when lubrication and cooling air flow is optimized. When running at ½ throttle, horsepower and torque is drastically reduced, causing it to lose a greater percentage of RPMs when load is applied... which causes the governor to fully open the throttle sooner and for a longer period for recovery... which means more fuel and more heat while at the same time receiving less lubrication and cooling air flow.

Small, splash-lubed, air-cooled, 4-cycle engines should always be run a full throttle (approximately 3400-3600 RPMs depending on model) whenever any load is applied... no matter how small the load. Anything less than full throttle is causing unnecessary wear and damage... and likely even using more fuel. (Keep in mind that "full throttle" is not "wide open" with the governor setup on a 4-cycle.)

No BS... seriously... no BS...

No BS...

Running a small, air-cooled, non-pressure lubed, 4-cycle engine at anything short of full throttle is detrimental to its health... and because of the governor setup, it will often actually use more fuel, not less. Small, splash-lubed, air-cooled, 4-cycle engines are designed to run at full throttle... that's when lubrication and cooling air flow is optimized. When running at ½ throttle, horsepower and torque is drastically reduced, causing it to lose a greater percentage of RPMs when load is applied... which causes the governor to fully open the throttle sooner and for a longer period for recovery... which means more fuel and more heat while at the same time receiving less lubrication and cooling air flow.

Small, splash-lubed, air-cooled, 4-cycle engines should always be run a full throttle (approximately 3400-3600 RPMs depending on model) whenever any load is applied... no matter how small the load. Anything less than full throttle is causing unnecessary wear and damage... and likely even using more fuel. (Keep in mind that "full throttle" is not "wide open" with the governor setup on a 4-cycle.)

No BS... seriously... no BS...
Well that is all fine and good. . . but what about the increased noise and fuel consumption? I always idle my engines for the environment and children.

My TSC husky splitter manual actually advises to run the splitter at full throttle. But I must admit that if I don't have hearing protection on I usually run 3/4. But if the work tunes muffs are on it's WFO. But thats mainly because when I run a tankful it's Miller time. Random thought... I split mostly by hand now and in between rounds I often re-hydrate... no wonder I enjoy hand splitting so much...

When it comes to saws a properly tuned two-stroke is made to make power best wide open. The chainsaw forum would have fun with any half throttle suggestions.

As mentioned by others BS is pretty high here.
Also half throttle causes massive carbon buildup
That is just not correct. It takes quite some time for carbon to build up in an engine. Further running the engine at WOT, when the carb is correctly set, usually takes care of any carbon builld up. As mentioned above already by others, carbon build up is MUCH MORE a problem of NOT correct carb settings or BAD fuel or TOO much oil in your mix.
Idle or half throttle on a 2 stroke does more harm then good. Does not let the fuel get hot enough to burn correctly. ....
Sorry but this is NOT correct! Fuel temperatures has hardly anything to do with gas burning correctly.

Latest posts

Back