Russian logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat stuff. I'm amazed that the logs don't just fall off of the trucks. Notice that they don't even strap them on the trucks.

I too wonder about the value of logs vs truck vs human?????

The logs can't be worth more than $1,000 to maybe $3,000 TOPS........ so what is the truck worth??? You got to figure they screw up truck parts say every 20-30 trips?!! Surely.

What is the distance traveled to get those logs??

Do they go bankrupt if the truck flips over in the river and is a complete loss?

I would rather go across that river with a full load and be heavy, than empty and light.

I would like to see some numbers behind the economics of that particular logging operation, I believe I would have passed on that job, LOL, but then I'm 50/50 German and Swedish, LOL.

Sam

There is a logger in CNY with the nickname "Mudd McKetrich" because he will take on some really wet places. I watched him once log a woods near me where it was pretty wet and so the forester set it up so old Mudd could use the farm paths along the sides of the woods to enter, pick up his logs and then make one haul out down the center of the woods pulling load, out across about 1000' of pasture and stop at a landing next to the road.

He started that job in the dead of winter and by ~day 2 he was through the snow and frost and into the mud on that center road. By the third week he was so far down with that skidder that when he came out across that field all you could see was the top of that skidder cab. He had a rut ~15' wide and ~6-10' deep. The bottom ~2' was filled with soup mud and he would just push a big tidal wave of the soup in front of him and his load and it would splash up onto the field and freeze. He ran a trash type sump pump in there at night to keep it from filling in with too much water.

When he was done that road became a stream in the spring and the woods dried out considerably because all his paths in drained into that main straight path down the center.

His skidder looked like someone poured a bucket of mud over it from one end to the other. Whoever bought his logs must have been pretty desperate because they were all solid brown on the outside. :dizzy:

No EPA there, but there was an EPA there. Those are deliverence boys out there and EPA can't figure out why half don't come back and the other half won't talk about it. Can't figure out why they don't cut in summer and haul in winter.

alot of illegal logging going on in russia from what i hear. i wonder if those boys are legit?

Can't figure out why they don't cut in summer and haul in winter.

They do. A few years ago the winter was particulary mild in that part of the world and that kept them out of the woods. The price of baltic birch plywood went through the roof. BB plywood is made in that part of the world and is used in cabinet cases here in the US. The price went from about $38/sheet to around 70 for a while.

Bottom line.Awsome video, them dudes got some big cojones.Very impressive.I wonder if Vodka is drunk during working hours.I know in some cultures, drinking during the work day is no big deal.I`ve heard that some of the steelworkers who use to build skyscrapers back in the day use to drink during their work day.I`m not sure if it`s true or not, but them dudes had some big ones too.Real men.

Turned my first skidder over 44 years ago. Figured out real quick where the real danger is and just learned to stay within that envelope, so to speak. Haven't turned over too many since then, but I have managed to walk away from them all. Knock on wood. I have also had the good fortune to meet a couple of real live Russians over the years. About as likable fellas as you ever want to meet. Tough as nails and twice as fearless. Seeing them in action in that video was cool, but not surprising.

I own 2 540B's and I have never flipped one in 5 years of steep hill work. I have had to use the winch to "bring' R back" from just about flipping. That being said I get these machines on 2-3 wheels all the time in the "right" ground.

Keep your blade low.

Sam

I own 2 540B's and I have never flipped one in 5 years of steep hill work. I have had to use the winch to "bring' R back" from just about flipping. That being said I get these machines on 2-3 wheels all the time in the "right" ground.

Keep your blade low.

Sam

There's two kinds of skidder drivers...those who have laid one over, and those who will. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

I would love to say i would do that, But i would be scared as #### if i got in that water and my truck started floating. Raising front ends off the ground is no new thing to me. My hats off to them boys:cheers::cheers::clap:

WE Don't care

I believe the song with that vidio says it all , "WE Don't Care"

Neat stuff all around.

Have fun--- Jim

More than a set of stones. We do some crazie stuff on our John Deere tractors but I would never attempt that one.

Ray

Back