Saddle cutting into my groin area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Weaver Cougar saddle. Pretty nice saddle but for some reason the leg straps are cutting into my groin area very close to my "equipment". Leaves a big red burn mark at the end of the day, not good. What is the procedure for adjusting this thing? Do I need to lower the leg straps more? Also, each leg strap has a cushion...where on my leg should this be oriented?

Oh and Dan (TM) if you're reading, I did cut those spring latches off...good for nothing except getting in the way. That saddle has enough stuff going on with it without those useless things. And I put a dedicated bent gate Biner for the saw, wow is that an improvement!

I also found that wearing a cup is not such a bad idea. BUT, fellow noobs beware, do NOT buy a cheap Wal-Mart cup. They do not have a soft enough rim and will hurt like hell in the saddle. Got a MUCH nicer one at Modells and it's working great.

I have the same saddle and i love it. i have only been climbing with it for a short while but i slide the leg straps down my leg and tighten them around my leg and that seems to help and if i dont i have the same problem you do.

:hmm3grin2orange: Nut bucket with climbing gear..now that's funny! :hmm3grin2orange:

get some boxer briefs and leave the cup home. You crazy man?? Whats going to happen when that thing shifts wrong? Bye bye baby maker.

get some boxer briefs and leave the cup home. You crazy man?? Whats going to happen when that thing shifts wrong? Bye bye baby maker.

Maybe it's just me but when i climb in briefs they try to turn themselves into thongs, if you catch my drift.

Free-ball it fellas. :hmm3grin2orange:
I haven't had a pair of underwear on in years.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that exact belt, but in general: hitch the saddle lower on your waist. More around the hips than on the waist. Then don't tighten the leg straps quite so much. Test the fit by hanging upside down (a few feet off the ground would be the best place). If you can't fall out, then you have it right.

You need to change the direction and position of the the groin straps, and that should do it. You will probably also gain a good deal of mobility, because you will be able to bend over without catching the belt mid-belly.

Not to mention, I dont know about you guys, but when I first started climbing, there was definitely some "callusing" needed before my legs got comfortable to the saddle. We did a climbing class at work, which was essentially 2 straight days of body thrusting and trying to move around in a tree, and I swear my "bikini" area has never been more chaffed and sore.

And no, I dont wear a bikini! Wierdos.

Yes, fit may be part of the issue, but giving it some time and building up some "callus" in the newly rubbed areas will go a long way too. Its a little different when you're not just leaning back on your buckstrap huh?

What if the problem is in your groin area and not your harness?

Anyway, I'll give you the same advice that everyone's been giving you since you got here. Make friends with some local climbers, and see if they'll let you test drive their gear.

saddle

did you try lossening your straps up. when you stand straight up is there alot of pressure where your straps are at, if so lossen them till they are comfortable. had that problem when i first started climbing thats what i had to do to fix that.

Its times like these

6620At20Least20He20Has20A20Gun1.jpg

So how is the ole groin Plas? A little tender? Yeah, but you might want to keep it to yourself for now.
There was a gentleman who maimed hisself and lost a marble from his Treemotion saddle. Truly a great loss.
Among the tons of other things you have to watch real close in this work ...your testicles . Any saddle will do it.
If I were to get a cup I would get something with some air holes... and fur on the inside.

Any piece of protective gear is going to do two main things. 1. protect you

2. boost your confidence.

unless you are Sean Connery and can wear whatever the heck you want.

I have a Weaver Cougar saddle. Pretty nice saddle but for some reason the leg straps are cutting into my groin area very close to my "equipment". Leaves a big red burn mark at the end of the day, not good. What is the procedure for adjusting this thing? Do I need to lower the leg straps more? Also, each leg strap has a cushion...where on my leg should this be oriented?

Oh and Dan (TM) if you're reading, I did cut those spring latches off...good for nothing except getting in the way. That saddle has enough stuff going on with it without those useless things. And I put a dedicated bent gate Biner for the saw, wow is that an improvement!

I also found that wearing a cup is not such a bad idea. BUT, fellow noobs beware, do NOT buy a cheap Wal-Mart cup. They do not have a soft enough rim and will hurt like hell in the saddle. Got a MUCH nicer one at Modells and it's working great.

Hey Plas.

No way would I wear a cup. The saddle will always chafe a little but proper adjustment will reduce that to a minimum.

After trying different solutions for work related skin problems I got smart and consulted a dermatologist. He said it is normal for the industry and that simple treatments are the best solution. Shower after work in warm water and keep the soap use to a minimum. Use a moisturiser after you dry off. Wear boxers or similar underwear. Dont go commando it makes the problem worse. If you take a break, take your boots and socks off.

Oh and harden up Princess! :)

Latest posts

Back