saddle to get started

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post here. I have been cutting trees on about 20 acres for over ten years. I have found that I really enjoy the work and wnt to do more. I've been reading tons of ISA books and pouring over catalogs. I am interested in getting started in climbing. It looks like I want to start out with a dual rope traditional technique. There are dozens of saddle/harness set ups on the market. I will probably only own one in my life since I'm in my 50's now and don't necessarily intend to make this a career. I'm not afraid to take the time (and $$$) and do things right. I've looked at the Petzl Sequoia and some of the Buckingham saddles online and in catalogs. There is no way I can try anything on before I purchase where I live. Can anyone point me in the direction of a saddle that would be a versatile and reliable investment for my situation. I understand opinions will be all over the map, but I value yours!

saddles

Read a many old threads on saddles ya can. If ya have good balance try a floating bridge\D's. If balance not so good. Use stationary D's. Check on E-bay for saddles also. Good luck!!

I'd buy something cheap and proven to start. No need to drop big bucks on a saddle when you have no idea what you're buying. There's four and five hundred dollar saddles on the market I wouldn't want but other folks will love. I just dropped $385 a few weeks back on one that I'm still not convinced about. Point being, saddle opinions will be drastically different person to person. Start with a basic Buckingham 4 D ring jobby for a hundo and if you get into it you'll have a much better idea what options you want on your next saddle purchase. And remember, man, be safe. Take your time.

They have a couple of Bashlin cheapies and a more expensive Sherril saddle in stock at a local rigging supplier. Are the Bashlins likely to be any good. I think they are more for linesman work. I though about something like a Buckingham Master. Like I said, I probably won't do enough of this to warrant buying a second one later. Ebay seems to have some folks selling harnesses because they bought the wrong one and aren't happy.

I have a Weaver Cougar rope bridge saddle that is a pretty good saddle and it does not break the bank. This saddle has good comfort and fit and maneuverability is good in it. They also make a optional batten seat for it.

I agree, I'd go with a basic Buckingham or Weaver 4D saddle. Great for beginners and won't break the bank. You can do anything in these saddles that you can do in a 4-5 hundred dollar saddle. Plus they are not too complicated. A lot of the higher end saddles are designed with the experienced, professional climber in mind and don't have all of the features included in the basic saddles because it is presumed that the experienced climber is going to want to customize the saddle to suit themselves. For instance, you are more than likely going to have to add your own saw attachment, saw snap and rope rings to a higher end saddle. The basic ones have those features out of the box. Plus it will probably last you a lifetime if your not using it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I climbed on a basic saddle for around 17 years.

"I climbed on a basic saddle for around 17 years."

That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I've been looking over the Buckinghams at Wesspur. I am going to be 53 yrs. old in two months and I won't be living in a saddle for work or anything. It would be nice to be able to use it for rappelling or as a fall protection since I supervise a crew that does overhead rigging (indoors). I do a lot of storm clean ups and thin and trim trees on the adjacent woodlot. I would guess I will spend less than 16 hours in it a year.

I agree, I'd go with a basic Buckingham or Weaver 4D saddle. Great for beginners and won't break the bank. You can do anything in these saddles that you can do in a 4-5 hundred dollar saddle. Plus they are not too complicated. A lot of the higher end saddles are designed with the experienced, professional climber in mind and don't have all of the features included in the basic saddles because it is presumed that the experienced climber is going to want to customize the saddle to suit themselves. For instance, you are more than likely going to have to add your own saw attachment, saw snap and rope rings to a higher end saddle. The basic ones have those features out of the box. Plus it will probably last you a lifetime if your not using it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I climbed on a basic saddle for around 17 years.

I agree, I started with the basic Weaver 4D. I found that the lack of padding in the back made climbing uncomfortable in a short period of time. If anything start with the cheap Weaver with the large padded back. It's worth the extra couple of bucks. You can buy a cheap beginners saddle to get your feet wet and then move up and sell the old one on E-bay. Currently I'm using a Cougar and for the money it's a great saddle.

X2

The wide padded back will make all the difference in the world and as cheap as it is to upgrade to that feature, it is a no brainer.

I climb with a $400 Petzl saddle these days that I had to customize myself. It's nice and comfy but I am in the saddle all day most of the time. I also like to wear a back brace for a little extra support. Plus, it will save your back on the ground as well.

Read a many old threads on saddles ya can. If ya have good balance try a floating bridge\D's. If balance not so good. Use stationary D's. Check on E-bay for saddles also. Good luck!!

I think that the floating D's don't require as much extra balance as they do extra abdominal strength. They allow for greater versatility in positioning, while they make you carry more of your weight in every direction.

The absence of "twist" control by floating all the time wears me out. Tried it once; didn't like it. Others think otherwise, of course.

... It would be nice to be able to use it for rappelling or as a fall protection since I ...

Don't confuse a tree climbing saddle with a fall protection harness. In addition to not meeting OSHA protection standards, you will be badly hurt by a fairly mild fall in a climbing saddle that might get nothing worse than a stiff neck when handled by a full protection fall harness.

I broke several ribs when I only dropped a couple of feet, and I was suspended by two ropes in opposite directions; both tie-ins were above me, too. It was such a mild jolt, I thought it was fun until the pain set in.

Don't confuse a tree climbing saddle with a fall protection harness. In addition to not meeting OSHA protection standards, you will be badly hurt by a fairly mild fall in a climbing saddle that might get nothing worse than a stiff neck when handled by a full protection fall harness.

I broke several ribs when I only dropped a couple of feet, and I was suspended by two ropes in opposite directions; both tie-ins were above me, too. It was such a mild jolt, I thought it was fun until the pain set in.

I agree, if he needs both a tree saddle and a fall arrest harness then he should look for something like this:

navaho-bod-1.jpg

Yep. That would be excellent for working from a bucket truck or some other aerial application, in addition to climbing. Just clip on to whatever point is appropriate. Good for both applications, and probably more comfortable and easier to put on than your normal fall harness.

I have several fall harnesses, and it takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to put the dang things on.

Who makes that one, and what model is it? I really like the fact that the fall harness portion doubles as a chest ascender attachment point and suspenders, all at the same time.

Last edited:

Very important!

Tree climbing saddles are "work positioning". falling any distance in one, on the nearly static rope you'll be using=ouch.

You'll get good advice here. Mine would be,

get a saddle with a nice wide back pad, find someone local to "show you the ropes" and go have some fun! You'll love the exercise, too.

Very important!

Tree climbing saddles are "work positioning". falling any distance in one, on the nearly static rope you'll be using=ouch.

You'll get good advice here. Mine would be,

get a saddle with a nice wide back pad, find someone local to "show you the ropes" and go have some fun! You'll love the exercise, too.

OK guys. Thanks for all your input. One of the guys offered to sell me a pretty new 4 D Weaver that looks like it is new. I went ahead and took him up on it. I'll go ahead and try to learn on that.

I don't know how far I'll go with climbing. I've got spurs and will mostly do removals and storm clean up for firewood. I have really enjoyed using my Stihl 026 Pro and little Echo to collect firewood over the past 14 years. I have cleared some pretty nasty piles and hang ups without any training other than common sense and watching a few others working. Mostly from a bucket. All I've been able to do since the snow fell (and between episodes of Axe Men, don't do it like them! ) is reading ISA books and watching your videos. This stuff is addictive.

I agree, if he needs both a tree saddle and a fall arrest harness then he should look for something like this:

navaho-bod-1.jpg

I have several fall harnesses, and it takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to put the dang things on.

Who makes that one, and what model is it? I really like the fact that the fall harness portion doubles as a chest ascender attachment point and suspenders, all at the same time.

Yes, those other fall arrest harnesses are a pain to put on. ;)

That one is made by Petzl. Model: NAVAHO® BOD
Work positioning and fall arrest harnesses

http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/harnesses

Back