Safety was not a factor in the good ol' days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what brand of saw is it? i does not look like either of the two brands i am familiar with; Kut-Kwik and Knight. i have a Kut-Kwik that came with a Wisconsin engine. i need to get the engine back together. my grandfathers were both loggers in S Ga in the teens-40s. the saw i have belonged to my mother's dad. my dad used to tell of running it.
i had someone offer me a running Knight for $300 a few months ago.

whacker

That's not SO different from a sawblade on a weedwhacker, and plenty of people use them (me included). The saw blades are no doubt better now than when those were built (30's, 40's?) and less likely to shatter. Still, you're farther away and at least have some steel between you and the blade. It looks like a bear to move around a bumpy site though!
Jim

glad

True. I AM glad I don't have to run one of them anyway, looks like it'd wear you out quick. And I need my torso, too.
Jim

We used to cut up slabs on a buzz saw mounted to the front of the Allis Chalmers WC, flat belt driven off the PTO pulley on the side of the transmission. No guards anywhere on that thing. You could feel the wind coming off the blade on that thing...

Mark

My dad had one with a Wisconsin 4 cylinder motor on it, had a guard over the back and top of the blade, but it would throw up a heck of a breeze! We used it for slabs as well.

Michael

True. I AM glad I don't have to run one of them anyway, looks like it'd wear you out quick. And I need my torso, too.
Jim

Chain mail, anyone?

It would be badass to see some dude in the woods running one of them things with a full suit of armor, chain mail and a Viking helmet.

what brand of saw is it? i does not look like either of the two brands i am familiar with; Kut-Kwik and Knight. i have a Kut-Kwik that came with a Wisconsin engine. i need to get the engine back together. my grandfathers were both loggers in S Ga in the teens-40s. the saw i have belonged to my mother's dad. my dad used to tell of running it.
i had someone offer me a running Knight for $300 a few months ago.

Its was made by harry a lowther company in chicago Illinois

Back