Sales counter top idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUGs-sawshop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have a pics of a counter top done with log cookies laid flat buried in shellac? I was going to make a sales counter with a big slab , but someone mentioned making it out of butt ends sawed 2" thick and laid flat. Hard to describe what Im trying to say.
I have already built the counter its 13' long and 28" wide with log cabin siding. Just want to finish the tip with something related to logging. Thank you, doug

How about doing your counter like an end block floor? It'll be super durable and great looking. Trim your cookies into squares and lay them together then belt sand.

These people make them - http://www.kaswell.com/

How about Redwood Burl

attachment.php

I cant make up my mind. Today I want to put a slab on it . I tried to post pics of my counter so far but my picture file is corrupted. I will put a pic of the counter tonight from home. I need a slab about 3" x 30" x 13'6" to cover the top.

I cant make up my mind. Today I want to put a slab on it . I tried to post pics of my counter so far but my picture file is corrupted. I will put a pic of the counter tonight from home. I need a slab about 3" x 30" x 13'6" to cover the top.

why 3"? 2" would make more sense weight wise without comprimising structure.

Sorry the pic is crappy. Its a cell pic and then I had to reduce it to get it to take here.
Heres another pic of our office counters. They are 3.5" thick and about 50-60 feet long.

discounthunter-
2" would probably do just fine , Im just used of thick slabs from looking at our office tops.

Anyone have a long slab of something cool looking thats willing to sell it? Thanks , doug

Retreatwp1.jpg

dunno if this is what you meant or not, the top is burr oak we milled then ripped then turned sideways before glueing them together. the front is old hedgeposts cut an inch thick the set in mortar

Can't help you on the cookies, but what you describe is what is known as cordwood construction when it's on a vertical wall. The style is comprised of just what you say, cookies on end with mortar or other type of fill between them. I'm not sure what you would fill with, unless you fit them together for a counter top.

Here's a link to a google search for cordwood.

Here's a counter that is laminated out of pine, 3 sections, 1 with a live edge, so it's not actually a full slab. Shows what can be done with slab sections. This is varnished. I'm not crazy about wood counters in the kitchen, but these look pretty good...(these are not mine).

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wifey found me a large slab in Conway, New Hampshire. Planning on going saturday to pic up.
Question : anyone have a link to a site where I can learn to put on the lacquer finish that is real thick? Thanks, doug

YEs Thanks ! I guess it is epoxy. I've committed to the slab , but now that I see the cookie finish I like that also. What did they use between the cookies? Grout? doug

YEs Thanks ! I guess it is epoxy. I've committed to the slab , but now that I see the cookie finish I like that also. What did they use between the cookies? Grout? doug

I could have been grout, but I think there is another video (should be in the list to the right) that talks about putting down "brown epoxy" between the disks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0maJWFjoGbM

The filler material could be a project in itself. How about filling it with "noodles" (long shavings from cutting with the grain) epoxying those in between the disks, then sanding the entire thing down flat prior to putting a final coat of epoxy on? The noodles would provide a contrast to the disks, especially if you used a different wood.

Wanted to show the finished top. Thanks for the help everyone! I went with a pine slab 36" wide , with gloss poly bushed on. I have 4 coats on it and plan 4 more. I think this will make a nice sales counter. Thanks, doug

Latest posts

Back