sales tax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In my state...

• tree work IS subject to state sales tax

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • tree work IS NOT subject to sale tax

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
According to my former accountant, tree removal, land clearing, etc. which can really only be done once is not subject to sales tax. However things like pruning, fertilization, etc where you do it on a fairly regular basis is. I believe that sales tax in Westchester is 7.25%. Putnam should be 7.5% as should White Plains and 1 or 2 other cities in Westchester.

Here in MA...

(sales tax)
All tree work is non-taxable: removals, pruning, planting, consulting.

Wood chips & firewood are exempt.

Anything you apply (fert, etc.) is exempt.

And they call it TAXachusetts... HA!

Here in Ks; to my knowledge all tree work is non sales taxable. I know in Missouri however sales tax is charged on chemical apps.

No sales tax on labor here in Illinois, if you buy things like chemicals, cabling supplies, trees for planting, in state then you pay a sales tax of 7.25 % unless you have tax exempt number for wholesale, the sales tax is then collected when the mechandise is resold to the end user.

In addition to the state sales tax, some counties and towns also have their own little sales tax, you will find this up near the Chicago area and the surrounding collar counties.

I suppose we should be charging sales tax for chips and firewood, but I have only heard of one person doing this, you would become unpopular real quick trying to add this to the price of wood salvage.

I don't know about anyone else, I just don't consider myself a merchant like a store would be. What we sell is strictly a service IMO.

We do pay a state income tax, instead of a sales tax on labor.

Larry

I didn't vote in your poll because I don't reside in the US and didn't want to throw off your results....

However, here in Manitoba we are 'lucky' enough to have both GST (Governmental Sales Tax) and PST (Provincial Sales Tax). Both of which are 7% and when combined make a disgusting 14%. Anything related to my business, I have to charge the customer the GST (7%). That is once your business' gross sales reach and surpass $30k.

I suppose that I could choose not too..........but then at income tax time, the government will just take it from me anyway.

There's no point in fighting it..............the big guy will always win in the end!

Labor taxed in Ohio, though most don't tax it, nor pay it. Me neither.

It is taxed in Ohio, and I always paid it when I worked commercially. In Cincinnati, it seems most of the big companies pay it, but the smaller companies don't. Xander had some input on this, if he's still around...

In Hawaii EVERYTHING is taxed, including the tax. The rate is "only" 4%, but it applies to all goods, services, food, rent, medical bills and the tax itself. Example is $100 sale is $4 tax, but you have to send the state $4.16 on your "gross sale" of $104. The state says it is not a tax upon a tax. Go figure.

Tax the Tax

netree said:
Koa, sure sounds like a tax-on-a-tax to me!

Here Nova Scotia, 2 taxes, Provincial and Federal, both add up to 15% and tree work is taxable once gross earnings exceed $20K.

Everything is taxed here, and most often twice. Safety inspection of your vehicle (essentially a user fee), $14 plus tax. Have something delivered via FedEx ground from the states--disbursement fee (another user fee) ADDED to the total value of the shipment--and THEN taxed.

All these Canucks argue it's all about their socialized medicine. That's great in theory, but just try to get treated from something. Hell, if you're not so bad off that you make an appt and wait a week to see your physician, they schedule for 6 mins, that's it--and then they act like they're doing you a favor just getting you in the door!

Now before all the Canadian AS users run me out of the country, or politely ask me to leave--I can only speak for Nova Scotia and if you've ever lived here you know it's true. AND, it's in my nature to complain, if I didn't I would be un-American ;)

BAB

Here in WI most goods and services are taxed, there is an exemption list, such nessesities as snow plowing are exempt. I understand certain types of construction are exempt. LAnd clearing was, but I've heard that they changed that.

In MKE the tax is something like 5.65%
in Waukesha it's 5.1%
Greenlake county is 5%

It's been a while since i had to worry about it, when i ran a crew for Chemlawn I had a sheet with all of the 7 or 9 counties I worked in. The good thing is that we don't have to wory about the special city taxes, those are only at the restraunts and hotels so that the tourists help pay for some of it.

NO tax in OK. Things like trees, shrubs are taxed and fertilizer could be but since we are paying the tax at the wholesaler, we are just passing the tax on to the customer thru their charge.

Back