Salt burn on flowering lilac leaves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So this shrub is planted here in my yard in Las Vegas. Las Vegas, as some of you know, has quite hard water. See the pictures of canyon walls near Hoover Dam if you want to see some of the effects. I don't know what kind of soil preparation was done (landscapers installed the tree) but I know our native soil is sandy. What I'm getting is salt burn on the leaves, towards the second half of the summer. Pretty bad salt burn. Just wondering what strategies I should employ to minimize or prevent it. So far I've been told to water twice a week, but deep water it.

Pics? If you have real sandy soil and hard water (lots of salts in it) I would amend the soil with dirt and mulch/compost. The water thing, if it is real bad, you may need to filter or get another source. Normally you water to leech the soil of salts. But the water could be the source, add that to sand...not a good sit for the plants. If you can, have your water checked to make sure you know what your dealing with. In Lake Elsinore,Ca. We had a account that had a reclaimed water irrigation system. The water was toxic to plants, had way to many chemicals from the treatment. They had to put several filters on it to get the levels down. It had sandy soil that the water would drain very quickly, so we watered more than normal to keep things going, in doing this, we added to the problems by introducing more salts to the soil. After they put the filters on, and my company amended the soil, everywhere we could, things bounced back fairly quick.

Latest posts

Back