Salvaged walnut cookies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Reaction score
I had a job (electrical work) in a nice part of town called chestnut hill in Philly. I always noticed a nice walnut that was on the edge of the property line of the homeowners house.

Fast forward a year or so and we happened to be going down the street and don't you know there's the walnut, butchered to all hell. Firewood rounds just waiting for passer bys to scoop them up and burn them :(.

I had to do AS right and toss a couple in my electrical van. My dad was super thrilled about that :ices_rofl:. Either way got some real nice cookies out of the two logs.

If I had to guess they're around 20" or so and somewhere between 2" to 2.5". Can't remember what my mill was set at. Wish me luck that they don't crack up too bad. From my experiences walnut doesn't usually crack too bad when cut into cookies.

Cheers,
BOAimage.jpgimage.jpg

I had a job (electrical work) in a nice part of town called chestnut hill in Philly. I always noticed a nice walnut that was on the edge of the property line of the homeowners house.

Fast forward a year or so and we happened to be going down the street and don't you know there's the walnut, butchered to all hell. Firewood rounds just waiting for passer bys to scoop them up and burn them :(.

I had to do AS right and toss a couple in my electrical van. My dad was super thrilled about that :ices_rofl:. Either way got some real nice cookies out of the two logs.

If I had to guess they're around 20" or so and somewhere between 2" to 2.5". Can't remember what my mill was set at. Wish me luck that they don't crack up too bad. From my experiences walnut doesn't usually crack too bad when cut into cookies.

Cheers,
BOAView attachment 477605View attachment 477606
Dry them about a year or two in a cool dry non heated shed. that helps to keep them from cracking so much.

I would cut cookies for a friend and he would use them for dear racks mounts. I would use end grain sealer from woodcraft to slow the drying down.
Chris

Don't cover that walnut with sealer - they're going to crack anyway. If you want to get fancy use dovetail keys to mend them.

Back