same question, with tree2 picture!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideopen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gentlemen, here are pictures of my current situation. I already climbed up into tree1 and cut off a piece. I would like to know the safest was to cut the main limbs off. When the wind blows hard, big pieces break off and I dont want the big pieces shown in the pictures, to ultimately fall onto the roof. If the big limb is curving towards the house, is there a way to notch and cut it off so it will fall away from the house roof? ok talk to yall later! I have an echo 16" chainsaw, and must save money and handle this myself. I used a ratchet strap to tiedown myself to tree 1. The tiedown went around my waist and around the part of the tree that was not getting cut. This was my first time cutting anything with a chainsaw. I know the echo saw by now and do use common sense. Please tell me the proper way to do this. All big branches must come down, except the ones that are by the power line, which the Power company will handle. Please help!
wideopen

electric?

Around these parts you ask the power company to remove entire tree and they will usually do it. I would suggest you not try this yourself if you have as limited skills as you say. Have you asked the power co. to remove entire tree and they refused?

Originally posted by wideopen
[ This was my first time cutting anything with a chainsaw.

If this is a legit post, I agree you should hire tree company to remove the tree or at least lay it on the ground for you.

You have no business even attempting this type of work...not to be smart alec...leave it for someone who know what they are doing.

You don't show much in those pictures. assuming there's enough room to drop those trees, I'd say have the power co. drop that tx line and hire a professional to dump the trees. then you could save money by doing your own cleanup if your so inclined.

Originally posted by wideopen
All big branches must come down, except the ones that are by the power line, which the Power company will handle. Please help!
wideopen

Okay, here we go...

First of all, you're STUPID for being in a tree that close to power lines. No if's... no but's..... STUPID.

When the power company shows up, here's what they'll have:

A dialectically [electically non-conductive] certified and tested aerial lift, complete with lab tested hydraulic fluid.

An INSULATED pole saw.

Gloves tested to withstand 4000 volts or more.

An electically insulating bib to cover the chest and arms

PROPER fall protection.

Hard hats, safety glasses, etc.

Specialized training.

Now...
Can you figure out WHY????

Erik
[email protected]

I disagree with everyone.
Those look like service lines which the power company will only drop, to make the removal easier. This removal looks simple.
I will therefore guide you through the removal.
First get on the phone and call the nice people who come to help homeowners, for free, to do tree work. They are under the heading "Mental Hospital" in the yellow pages. They will help you by first putting on a nice climbing jacket, with special long sleeves. Then they let you ride in the back of the big bucket truck with flashing lights...

I agree with everyone this isnt a tree for even a new climber with a yr experience. I cant believe u tied in with a ratchet strap?????
are u nuts???? never mind dont answer that. this trade takes yrs to learn well enough to not injure yourself, others or the assets shown in the picture, How can u possibly think u can handle a tree like this. i like what I read in the tci mag yesterday in the very back a climber was talking to a customers wife and she said she was going to buy her husband a set of spurs so he can remove the tree and the climber said while your at it buy him a drill and he can do his own teeth. I thought that was a good analogy.

that is service line

that is not a bad tree for exp climber but not for a beginner if i was you i would stay wat from that tree you dont have right equiptmen or exp

Originally posted by William Hord
lol and i cant spell or type
Are you sure you aren't JPS using a different ID? :p
You can go back and click the 'edit' button under your post and correct anything you like. If you do it within 5 minutes of posting it will not even indicate that the post was edited.

Let me qualify what I'm about to say by stating that I have not been in a tree for over 2 years using a rope, I'm a landscaper by trade and training with some aboriculture training thrown in. I am most DEFINATELY not an expert on climbing trees and/or removing those that need climbing to accomplish that goal.

When I'm in a tree, normally I'm not worried too much, I know my system, I know I've checked it over and I trust my equipment, because that is what it is made for.

However I have had the daylights scared out of my (and my professor was worried too, I might add) when in my arboriculture class my feet were knocked off of the trunk of the sycamore tree I was in. I was only about 10 off of the ground and was cutting off a limb (the tree was to be removed). The limb was tied at the tip and at the trunk, and when I cut the limb, it swung back and knocked my feet off of the tree. Didn't hurt, but it sure made me think twice about any future rigging I did. This was a controlled environment, and a "hands-on" instructional period.

If something can happen in this type of environment, it CAN and probably *WILL* happen to someone untrained.

I have been in numerous trees since that fine fall day, and I personally don't think I have enough experience and/or knowledge to attempt a removal of this type. Too much at risk between the house and the power line, not to mention personal injury. It's not worth it.

My advice, if you are not willing to call someone with the training, experience, and equipment, would be to take anything valuable out of the the front rooms of the home, move the bedrooms to the back of the house and check to make sure your homeowner's insurance policy (do you even have insurance?) is up-to-date and covers storm damage. And when the wind is blowing real hard, find a friends house to stay at.

As an aside, and completely off of the removal subject, anyone else think that if the tree is truly dead that the brick wall around it might have something to do with it?

Dan

Latest posts

Back