San Diego, CA - Old oak tree w/termites?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roselynh07

Reaction score
We have 2 large oak trees on our property that I've been told are over 100 yrs. old. Early this year I noticed at the base of one of the trees what appeard to look like piles of coffee grounds around the base. At first I just swept it away, but since the piles are there again and I even found what appeared to be an earth tunnel along the lower part of the tree (much like you find for house termites), I figured that's what my tree has.
I can't see anything that looks like termites as I poke through some of the holes created by whatever is affecting my tree. I only see ants on the tree, which is another possible sign of termite infestation.

Is there something I can do to stop this possible termite infestation that won't hurt the tree?

Thanks in advance for any help you can recommend.

Contact Joe Jonas @ Considerate Tree Care. He lives in El Cajon. Ca. and is a certified Arborist & Tree Preservationist. He should be able to come out & review your situation and give you a recommendation. He is extremely good with tree diagnoses. Joe can be reached @ 619-247-1629. Tell him you were refered by Gordy. Good Luck

Yes an arborist on site is the best idea. please let us know what Joe sees. It looks like two different pests, both troublesome but treatable.

Insect parasitic nematodes

Insect parasitic nematodes are microscopic,mobile, and restricted to insects and related Arthropods. They kill termites and tree borers. You may have Carpenter worm. They do attack oak trees.The nematode I used in previous testts is currently available as "Guardian" from Hydrogardens at
[email protected] Other strains species are available by mail from many other distributers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back