Sandy soil, new trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bore_pig

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just planted two dozen 13"-20" (height above ground) white spruce trees. Our soil is very sandy. I put a shovelful of potting soil in the ground with each tree to help hold a little moisture until the tree establishes itself. My plan is to mulch around the trees as another way to help hold moisture through the coming summer.

My question is: Can I over water the trees? I thought I'd give each tree a half gallon or gallon each day. The guys at work say that's too much, that the trees will root rot with that much water. They tell me a half gallon or gallon every third or forth day will be more than enough.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

If the soil is sandy you may have to water often. Just check with your finger and if the soil is moist don't water.

Boy....must be NICE having sandy soil. How about clay soil and a water table that is so high in the winter and spring.....that when you dig a hole to plant a small tree that is only 1 shovel blade deep? Water comes up and partially fills the hole. :censored:

Latest posts

Back