Sardines, They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was over in korea around 2000 you could buy expired army rations from the US military guys for only a few bucks. Those things were amazing and I used to buy them a box at a time. Haven't been able to find anything even remotely similar in aus. Can't be beat for price, nutrition/energy content and variety of flavor. A box would usually have a whole bunch of different meal items, but the amazing thing was how much stuff you got in each one. A typical pack would contain 2 or 3 mains, sides, 2 or 3 drinks, desert, condiments, knife and fork, salt and pepper, toothpick etc. The mains were substantial and not dehydrated. They actually taste good. Best part is they cook themselves. While hiking I'd open one up 15 minutes before the end of the day and put some water in there. Didnt need to be clean water, anything would do. Close it back up and throw it in my pack and keep hiking. When I stopped I'd have a cooked meal to eat.

The army guys used to hate them though. They say they stop you up if you eat too many which i can believe. I never ate them for more than a few days at a time. I found a single pack would cover me for lunch and dinner sometimes. If you can get them stateside I cant recomend them highly enough. I always had a few stashed in my jeep for just in case.

Shaun

My uncle is a retired Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Army. He always kept me supplied with C-rations in the camping days when we were kids. Then later it was MRE. Which is probably what you're getting. I could live on the dried fruit bars! When my Uncle died last April, he left me a whole 5 gallon bucket full of P-38 can openers in his will. Don't leave home without. Especially today.

cool thread! for me it's a bit different. i cut a little over an hour away from home and usually can manage 2-3 good loads in a day. so i try to time one of my trips home between noon and 2pm, then either my wife cooks up something good or we will order pizza and subs. for drinks we take a 5 gallon cooler with water and various pepsi/mt. dew/etc.

there have been some good ideas in here that i will try to employ on our next outting, thanks!

Thanks Chopper.

Yer one of just a handful of guys that likes my threads. I strike one match at the end of September and that's it the rest of the year. The rest is just runnin' and gunnin' to feed the evil stainless steel beast.

I like to look at what makes wood burning worthwhile, since it takes alot of flat out input. Who wouldn't like tearing through snowdrifts in the middle of a cornfield in a 4x4. How about the way the ground shakes when you jump a several thousand pound log six feet off a stump? Sometimes I have to swing on the poison ivy vines just because I can.

Lemon drops are handy, too. Kills that two-stroke breath.

I've been getting Pampa Jack MAKREL lately. Its like $1.18 a can at Wally's. I have an old bottle of some generac hot suace in the glove box for added zest. Pampa packs theres whole, so you can eat the fish by hand. I haven't been cutting yet but it served me good on the trapline this year. Plus I could add a splash of clam oil and it doubled as coon and mink bait. Bring a can opener though. No pop tops on there cans.

What do you do at powerplants Woodcutter? Funny how they even want cleaniness at the powerplants now. Thats not the case in Pa. yet. But don't get caught eating sunflower seeds in the hospitals anymore. You'll be blacklisted out of all of UPMC's jobs.

This may seem odd, but I have never tasted sardines.

But now, Kipper snacks are a totally different subject. I love kipper snacks!

Hmm, there may be a tin in the cupboard, yes there is! MMMMM!

I once bowled with a guy who was a big salmon fisherman on Lake Michigan, and his wife home canned some of the mamoth sized salmon that he caught. He would occasionally bring in a pint with saltine crackers. Boy oh boy did that go good with a few beers after the match was over! Yummy!

Bob

I've never tried them either Bob, could never get past the smell. Anyhting that doubles as coon bait I'll take a pass. Maybe let the coon have them and then eat the coon.

Maybe let the coon have them and then eat the coon.

They get eatin down south. I wouldn't eat one myself. Or a bear for that matter. I have thrown a coon or two in the woodburner after I skun em, and they do kinda smell like chicken. I was affraid the neighbors were gonna think I was having a late nite barbeque.

I like them, but they are around $3 for a small can up this way. I like anchovies as well, but my wife can't stand either. Needless to say, they don't make it in the shopping cart too often. :hmm3grin2orange:

I've been getting Pampa Jack MAKREL lately. Its like $1.18 a can at Wally's. I have an old bottle of some generac hot suace in the glove box for added zest. Pampa packs theres whole, so you can eat the fish by hand. I haven't been cutting yet but it served me good on the trapline this year. Plus I could add a splash of clam oil and it doubled as coon and mink bait. Bring a can opener though. No pop tops on there cans.

What do you do at powerplants Woodcutter? Funny how they even want cleaniness at the powerplants now. Thats not the case in Pa. yet. But don't get caught eating sunflower seeds in the hospitals anymore. You'll be blacklisted out of all of UPMC's jobs.

Hey,Vibes
Always @power stations replacing the big time transformers. I even hooked up the stabs at one facility which feeds the high lines to the sub which feeds my house. Make toasting bread more meaningful. We also put in the big scrubbers for the coal plant. They don't allow smoking inside anymore, but I wouldn't say they are clean. Today, I only do residential installation, Uninterruptible Power Supply/Back Up and controls.

Always @power stations replacing the big time transformers.

I'm a tinknocker. Seen my share of powerplants insides and out. Did a lot of lagging, insulating, and asbestos abatement on the insides. Did a lot of siding, roofing, and tank wrapping on the outside. Its funny still that you can't chew sun flower seeds in powerplants but I guess its probably as bad as chewing snuff.

Back