Sassafras ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi all, been a while since I was on the Firewood Forum. Have a Q. I have a woodlot that is flooded with Sassafras, and I would like to thin it out. Is the Sassafras worth bucking for firewood, or do you reccomend just letting it lay. I'm pretty sure it doesn't put out BTU's like Locust or Oak, but........ Oh, I might add, I have plenty of other viable firewood species to cut so the Sassafras is not a real big need. Thx.

Hi all, been a while since I was on the Firewood Forum. Have a Q. I have a woodlot that is flooded with Sassafras, and I would like to thin it out. Is the Sassafras worth bucking for firewood, or do you reccomend just letting it lay. I'm pretty sure it doesn't put out BTU's like Locust or Oak, but........ Oh, I might add, I have plenty of other viable firewood species to cut so the Sassafras is not a real big need. Thx.

drys fast, burns fast, lots of quick heat. I save it for spring and fall when I don't want a fire burning all day, or when I come home and the house is cold and I want quick heat.

Carving wood?

How far are ya from Ridgway? What diameter are we talking? I'll be in Ridgway next month for the 11th Annual Chainsaw Carving Ridgway Rendezvous .

Sure, it's worth bucking up for firewood. Best in a mix for tailoring your heat, but beats nothing if it's all you've got. If you're flooded with Sassafras there will be no shortage of people willing to take it off your hands. Ahem. You know, depending where you are in PA. Just sayin'.

Jack

I like burning sassafras. Something has been killing them before they get too big,so they are dead when I cut them.I have a 55 gal drum filled with small branches as kindling and smells great if you happen to get a whiff of the chimney.burns good too.

Hmmmmmm. Sounds like it may be worth bucking up. Actually it's weird, as it is all in what I'd call Pole Stage. Scores of trees in the 6" or so range, and they don't seem to want to get bigger... which is fine with me. Ridgeway I believe is in Elk County..... 4 hours anyway from me. I'm in Southwestern PA.

Hmmmmmm. Sounds like it may be worth bucking up. Actually it's weird, as it is all in what I'd call Pole Stage. Scores of trees in the 6" or so range, and they don't seem to want to get bigger... which is fine with me. Ridgeway I believe is in Elk County..... 4 hours anyway from me. I'm in Southwestern PA.

I got some good heat out of a couple of big sassafras trees a few years ago. 6" split is great for the middle layer building a fire. Might be of limited use compared to quantity if you've got the other firewoods, but don't just let it lie. Especially if your part of SW PA is close to me. :)

Jack

Jack, I've got plenty of other hardwoods to cut up... Large Dia. Locust that has died for some reason, and plenty of Cherry. Reckon if I cut it, I can get my quad and trailer in there and pull some out. It wouldn't be beneficial for you to retrieve, as it's not next to an access point, but thx for the offer. :clap:

I cut one up that was 16" + dia. I throw it in the furnace. Also if you smoke meat. BBQ. It's great for that too.

That's about all my dad burns... He's got a pot belly stove in the basement, and likes to burn a fire in the evening that's slowing down when he goes to bed, and likes to light a fire when he gets up in the morning, and have it on the down-hill side when he leaves for work, so it's not growing while my mom is asleep (retired and sleeps like a log)... It works out pretty well for him... It's a quick, hot fire, and doesn't hardly rot at all...

Mike

If you burn it indoors watch for sparks as it pops alot and throws sparks. Does smell nice and is easy to get a hot fire with it.

The twigs are great tinder/kindling. You can light a green twig with a match and it will burn like a candle.

Pretty much what others said about it. It does smell really nice when burning

light weight, cure easy, split easy, no coals, oil in bark make it easy to start, can be used for posts (Osage orange, black locust, red part of red cedar).

I have never found the green / dry weight per cord for my firewood spread sheet tho.

I like burning sassafras. Something has been killing them before they get too big,so they are dead when I cut them.I have a 55 gal drum filled with small branches as kindling and smells great if you happen to get a whiff of the chimney.burns good too.
I have lots and none of them get very big either. I have searched but have found not info on what might be wrong with them, but I'm convinced something is after them. I believe sassafras is supposed to get reasonably large.

I burn it - works great in the secondary combustion stoves. For a short while. They seem to have a lot of volatile stuff that cooks of nicely, they just don't weigh much.

Back