Savable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandriverrat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I stripped the cylinder head where the spark plug screws into. Is this repairable with out removing or replacing the cylinder head? And do these repairs typically last? Thanks for any input.:confused2:

Napa has a good kit that uses solid inserts instead of the pring type.Get the tool and pack it with grease real good. That'll catch the filings. Pull muffler and carb and blow out with air real good when your done.

Pull the cylinder if you're going to do this. It's real easy to do, and it would be downright foolish to go to the effort of redoing the threads to have your saw eat shavings that you didn't properly remove.

Its called a heli coil kit
i think princess auto has em cheaper oh more one thing is this
when you do what they say in the manual also use just a dab of loctite
on the old threads or put a lil on the new thread insert,,

ALSO you dont always have top take the head off put grease on the tap to collect the metal shavings....

[video=youtube;g1n4O1Vg50w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1n4O1Vg50w[/video]

Last edited:
my first time pulling the jug was on a stubborn stihl, and took 10 mins and an alan key. too easy to risk damage. i would try a helicoil, just need to have a big enough tap.

Not really necessary to pull the jug to do this repair. I've used spring type repairs in spark plug holes several times with great success. I use tapping wax on the drill bit and the tap to collect the chips. Just make sure you use the proper length insert. DO NOT go below the bottom thread, but!, DO go below the top thread in the head about a 1/4 turn. Once it's done, you won't have a problem unless you cross thread a plug.

Pop the muffler off and make sure you get any chips out that may have gotten into the cylinder. When this type repair is done right, it'll last the life of the saw.

to remove or not is a preference thing. Watch the video above and not the amount of shavings. I'd remove the cylinder.
What make/model saw? How many hours of use? Maybe a good time to add a few extra $ and refresh with a new piston ring.

It is a Jonsered 2159 with quite a few hours on it. I love this saw! This is the first problem I have ever had with it.

Latest posts

Back