Saving Money with firewood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of the best discussions I've seen here in a long time. A very enjoyable read. :msp_smile:

I figure that my savings is in the $2500-$3000 range anually. The higher oil goes, the more I save. I get all of my wood for free. Owning my store I easily have several connections with loggers and tree guys. I have access to far more wood than I could use.

But like so many of you have pointed out, the rewards go way beyond the hard numbers. I make all the heat I want, and stay comfy all winter. No listening to the oil burner running while sitting in a chilly house because the thermostat is set low in an effort to save oil. My brother, who does not burn wood made the following comment last winter: "You spend virtually nothing and your house is always warm, and I'm spending a fortune and my house is always cold. Somethings wrong with this picture."

Also being saw geek, I consider what I spend on the saw hobby to be it's own separate category. I have fun with it, and that's how I choose to spend some of what I save by heating with wood. It could even simply be the cost of going to a GTG. So, in this way, the saw hobby and burning wood are separate, yet mutually supporting activities. Even if I spend half of what I save on saws that I don't need, I'm still coming out way ahead. Plus the process of cutting the wood, which I also truly enjoy, provides an opportunity to play with the saws. It's all a pretty good fit for me.

Everybody is home today, a rarity. We have a window open because the wife of all people is too warm. Our furnace has hardly ran this winter especially since it has been so mild. We used to freeze in this house and when it was really cold out, our heat was easily over $300 and sometimes over $400 a month. The basement wasn't heated so the floor was always cold. When we started having children she agreed we should spend about $2500 to put in a wood furnace. Now it is usally 75+ in the house and we disconnected the NG and electric bill is down to around $100 a month.

I am not a wood snob but I can act like one since I have so many farmers on my fuel/propane route that have no need for all the trees on their property. I fill their tanks then heat my house with their trees. I am one of the few that comes out of winter leaner than going in because I am working with so much wood. My mental health is also better because wooding is my mental vacation.

My biggest hang-up is the mess it creates. It really isn't that big of a deal, though. My next house is going to be in the country and I am going to install an outdoor boiler. It will heat the house, a shop, and possibly a hot tub!

Yeah, you can save money, but it usually goes into more saws, a splitter, and other fun needed firewood making equipment... :msp_smile:

Yea I am way in the hole. $23,000 tractor, $1,000 in two chain saws, $1,700 in a log splitter, $5,000 into outdoor wood stove. But I am not paying the gas man and its way worth worth it.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

Saving money in PA

My first year burning wood. I got a deal on a ZC EPA fireplace for $2,000 and $700 for venting. installed unit myself as it was a replacement for a prior non-EPA ZC that I got for $200.00. Got a 30% tax credit or $600 on ZC since it went in in December of last year. In 2010 I burned 1200 gallons #2 oil keeping the little lady warm cost $5000.00. This year i burned 100 gallons @ 3.47 and 6 cords that I paid $150 /cord for. So about $3700 saved in fuel this year including tarp to cover wood. I spent $2100 after tax credit for ZC and pipe so less than 1 year payback. by my math im already saving $1600.

My house is 1800sf including basement, runs on all gas and was built in 1961. I went from an average of 184 cubic ft of gas a month in the winter down to 18. Thats with a $200 Vigilant for 4 years replaced by a free Nashua this year. The chimney was $1500. Obviously it was worth it.

Before the big economic meltdown, I worked for a high-end, low volume homebuilder. I talked him into letting me design a "zero energy" home. Basically no utility bills for the year. Geo-thermal just didn't work from a financial aspect. Only way we could make it work, on paper, was by using solar. Wasn't even close. Never got to build it, but there was no doubt solar gave a much,much better bang for the buck than geo-thermal.

Sad to say on a woodburning forum, and hope I don't get banned, but the price of "making wood" is getting more and more expensive, as the price of Propane/Ntty Gas falls. Think about it. Stihl is selling 1 gal. bar oil at $18/gal., fuel for the quads, trucks, chainsaws, splitters, is approaching $4 gal. That's all DOUBLED in a few short years. Then there's the price you pay in your time invested, not to mention the wear and tear on your body. It's getting less economical to make wood for sure. Still is a "soul healing" alternative, but becoming increasingly less economical each turning month. Reckon it's a passion thing.

I suppose much depends on whether you own property or not. I'm fortunate to have grown up in PA. (Indiana County) where my Dad bought 90 acres, then to an almond region of CA, and now here to MO. So, since I have land, I got the ATV and other stuff. It's a good conservation practice to remove dead trees and I have to have the saws anyway. Then there is this way to look at it: Even if you don't save anything you will have something to show for it whether it be the saw, splitter, or even the ATV. We've had a very mild winter here in MO. and as I write this it must be 65 outside. And the house already seems different as this shop area is: a'int no fire in the Buck or FPX. So I'm happy and sad at the same time.

Sad to say on a woodburning forum, and hope I don't get banned, but the price of "making wood" is getting more and more expensive, as the price of Propane/Ntty Gas falls. Think about it. Stihl is selling 1 gal. bar oil at $18/gal., fuel for the quads, trucks, chainsaws, splitters, is approaching $4 gal. That's all DOUBLED in a few short years. Then there's the price you pay in your time invested, not to mention the wear and tear on your body. It's getting less economical to make wood for sure. Still is a "soul healing" alternative, but becoming increasingly less economical each turning month. Reckon it's a passion thing.

When I gather/scrounge on my own to get free wood I spend less than $100/cord on all the consumables you mentioned. When I have it delivered cut/split it can be around $150. Even if I had it delivered cut/split/seasoned at ~$250 it would still be saving me money over heating oil since gas isn't available at my house.

I also like the fact that I'm heating with a renewable resource instead of a fossil (or fossil-based) fuel, even if it has it's own air quality issues...which are still less than the refining/delivery environmental impacts in my uneducated opinion.

Well, that 18 a gallon bar oil is nuts...just sayin'. You don't need it. And you can get a used tractor that runs diesel and it will pull four times what any gas hot rod quad will pull, or more, on less fuel. And get a nice used one for what a quad costs for that matter, I've looked at prices on those things (not counting the cheap chinese quads) And, looking at what you got, you can be picky as all get out and only use wood that splits easy by hand, and not ever use a gas engine splitter. You don't have to cut small, you don't have to cut so large as to be a chore and need a 100 cc saw with a five foot bar on it. You can stay in the goldilocks sweet spot mid size for wood.

In other words, you are at the high end of doing it yourself as to cost, compared to what you could be using. Oh, saws, I can cut all my wood with two used saws, both combined, under 100$ total cost. And that's a 50-70 plan, you don't need a thousand dollar saw to cut firewood with. 100 bucks, save 900 for fuel..that's a LOT of mix. And I run used loops with plenty of life left in them, get them for one to six dollars apiece at the saw shop, customer non pickup loops, left for sharpening, they never come back, three months later I can have my pick of them. Heck, I get bar and chain combos for 8 bucks sometimes for my smaller saws, same deal, come off of customer non pickup saws.

And I don't know where conventional fuel is dropping in price, no idea on natgas, but propane and gasoline and diesel (and I assume fuel oil) are all going up around here. So does electricity.

There's a good possibility a bit before the elections gas and diesel will drop, they always pull that scam every election, then after the election it goes back up fast.

On an average winter I would use 2 1/2 tanks of oil for heat and hot water. Thats 650 gal @ this yrs oil price of 3.59 for a total of $2,333.50. that is for 11/1 thru 4/1 that the heat is allowed on, with the house set at 62 deg at all times.

For our wood heat the costs were. used 2008 overfire wood stove $650, 30 ft metalbestos chimney $200 ( craigs list deal) $50 single wall piping. $48 for 2 6in fan in a cans, $500 chainsaw, ( old 1 died)$100 4 chains, $300 diesel, $50 chainsaw fuel. lots of time (price less) Total $1,898

Thats $435.50 savings this year. But the other factors are that I got 17 cords of wood, used five. wich leaves 2 more yrs worth of heat, for another $4,667.00. So 3 yr outlook is a savings of a min $5,100.00 I LIKE THAT MATH.

Oh yes forgot to mention the house stays at 72 now.

Last edited:
This winter a friend of mine that has spent up to $4,000( 2 winters ago) in heat for piped in gas for a winter, estimated that I've saved $40,000 in the past ten years on heat. Can't remember the last time we had a bill for heat. My current stove ( a Tempwood) we paid $50 8 years ago that we found in the Want Ads. Stove was 5 miles away. Before that we bought the smaller version and paid $150. Even with the cost of gas to go and get the wood that is free, cost of chains, bar oil, gas for saws, ect., the cost is negligible because it is really not felt. In other words doesn't hurt the wallet. So what's the beef? For us it's a total no brainer. Also I must mention the health aspect. I'm 62. Most of my friends are dead. I feel that if I hadn't been heating with wood since the 70's I would be dead. Oh you say how about the cost of saws. My 262 a friend found in a dumpster. My Makita I got brand new at HD rental center for $150. Before I actually bought my 156 Efco for under $400(From a car accident settlement) I hadn't bought a saw for nearly 15 years ( my 55 Husky for $300). My 51 and 36 Husky I got at a yard sale for $15! That's the truth. Lady was recently divorced and wanted them gone. Burning wood is a win win situation.

...But the other factors are that I got 17 cords of wood, used five. wich leaves 2 more yrs worth of heat, for another $4,667.00...

Good GOD, man, that's spendy for wood! I know you said you're saving money at that rate, but you've got to be able to find it cheaper somewhere in NH, no?

A friend of mine installs geo and he flat out told me it's a waste of money and not to bother with it. It is real expensive to install too. I don't know if it's just because our climate is so extreme up here or what the reasoning is. Maybe it works better in a moderate climate?

Good GOD, man, that's spendy for wood! I know you said you're saving money at that rate, but you've got to be able to find it cheaper somewhere in NH, no?

He meant what he is saving over using fuel oil. His wood expenses are some a one off, you need a furnace and saws and a truck, etc, then mix and bar oil as an ongoing expense, but after that, he is just cutting it, he isn't buying wood. He's saving over two grand a year over using just fuel oil. Plus, he can keep his house warmer.

Yes, you have labor costs, your own, but no idea how many hours he has into a Per cord deal there. If you figured it out, you are probably paying yourself at a pretty darn good salary level.

And it is certainly better than *paying* money to go work out at a gym!

Man, you just can't beat "woodrobics" Feel the burn!

heheheh I want to see richard simmons running like an 090! hahahaha

Well... I don't have exact numbers so I do the hillbilly calculations instead ~ pretty near. ;)

This has been our first year heating with wood. With all the upfront expenses taken into account we figure it'll pay for itself in a couple years.

The electric bill used to be over $400.00 from September to April. Darn heat pump is a money pit in winter. And for more amusement, friends and neighbors, we had a propane gas log heater we used in the evenings. One year's propane was easily over $800.00. We were paying $4.00 per gallon for the stuff. :eek:

The electric bill has been around $125.00 all winter. With the gas log gone, there's been no propane cost.

Here's what we invested, roughly to start burning wood:

Husky 353 saw: +$500.00
Stove and cement board for wall protection: +$700.00
Triple-wall prefab chimney and dual-wall stovepipe: around $500.00
Installation by contractor and permit: +$300.00
Cart to haul rounds: $150.00
Ramsplitter: $1100.00
2 cords seasoned wood to start: $250.00
Assorted accoutrements ~ stove poker, oils for saw, spare chain loop, files, maintenance, flue brush etc: Average $200.00
Super lug tires for lawn tractor, shipped and mounted: $150.00

We already had the JD lawn tractor, just had to replace the stock turf tires with super lugs so it could be used in the woods.

Honestly, all we have vested now is our time. Time to get trees felled, limbed and bucked and carted to the yard and splitting and stacking. I got behind this year, it's been rainy and muddy out there much of the winter. But once the stacks are completed ~ and they almost are ~ I can move on to other projects. When you own a home, it's always something.

Yup, I may be out there working in the woods on a nice spring Saturday, seeing the motorcycles roar by on the road... but I think of the old story of the ant and the grasshopper. They're having fun now, but come winter they'll be keeping their t-stats just above freezing, begging for OT at work and forking over ever more of their paychecks to the oil or gas company.

Not this ol' dog. We'll be sitting back in the warmth, watching Fire TV and thinking... man, this ain't costing us a dime.

And it's a better heat, too. The SheWolf mentioned the other day, this has been the first winter since we moved here that she hasn't had a cough or cold. The house is warm and dry, comfy cozy.

According to my hillbilly calculations there's a lot more money in the bank today than I've ever seen in there. :)

Time is money. In this economy there is more time less money. So on the unpaid time you can do something to save money, then the empty time is making you money. If you take a week to get a cord of wood, thats what about $4 an hr. How much do we make doing nothing? Nothing. so empty time is something.

I save at least $6000 a year not having to buy fuel oil plus whatever I save by heating all my hot water with the wood boiler. :rock:

First year, the only thing we invested in was the stove. I was given an old maul to split with and borrowed my brother in laws saw.

With it costing me $700/fill on the propane tank, the stove paid for itself the first year.

The following season I bought my own saw at a discount (ms391, which after a couple months I traded in for a brand new 441) and then I sold some farm equipment I had laying around to pay for my log splitter.

We heat exclusively with wood. No gas bill at all each year. I'm literally still on the first tank of propane as when we bought the house and it's got 55% left. We turn it on once a year during the winter when we head up north to see my parents for a week but that's about it.

No matter how you calculate the cost of fuel (for my truck, saw and splitter) I'm saving a boatload of money.

I may eventually invest in an OWB but for now our most economical route is the wood stove.

Latest posts

Back