Saving Money with firewood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to burn LPG until the retailers eliminated contracting and got screwed one time which was enough for me. When they did this I knew the days of cheap fuel were over so I switched to wood burning.

I calculated my actual payback period to be 2 years and 1 month which included a high ended Jotul stove, triple wall chimney, low end saw, manual splitting tools and install. Using the rule of 72 not many investments show returns that generous (around a 35% IRR) at $2/gal of LPG and this return would have immensely improved had I chosen a less expensive option for a stove like an Englander.

Included is a house that averages 10 degrees warmer in the stove room and 3 degrees warmer in the main living area.

As for the value of your time for this work what does it cost to join a gym where you get paid absolutely nothing for unproductive exercise?

As for costs to produce scrounged firewood I don't think I ever paid more than $35/cord in ancillary costs: travel, fuel/oil, chains and in my case about half of the time it is produced at $10/cord or less.

As for the value of your time for this work what does it cost to join a gym where you get paid absolutely nothing for unproductive exercise?

I always laugh-out-loud when I see the “gym” thing mentioned. Certainly there are benefits to being in shape, but you can’t put a dollar value on it in the sense of saving money otherwise spent joining a gym.

First of all, it ain’t necessary to join a gym to exercise; you can get all the exercise you’d ever need simply by working against your own body weight in you back yard, and you can even target specific muscle groups… Joining a gym is more of a social thing, and has very little to do with exercise. Sure, it’s convenient to use the equipment, and be inside a heated and/or air conditioned space… but there are also benefits to fresh air and being outside… mentally, emotionally and physically.

Secondly, and more importantly, how many of us would actually join a gym? I know I sure the hell wouldn’t. How can you count it as money saved if you’d never have spent it in the first place?

Yes, exercise and being in shape does save money otherwise (usually) spent on health problems… but it ain’t necessary to join a “gym”… or run a chain saw to get your exercise. Heck, if you add up the cost of every thing involved in obtaining your firewood, it’s probably cheaper to join a gym… LOL…

I'll admit to being an overly nerdy woodburner. I keep track of all my wood "costs" and estimated savings in an Excel spreadsheet. We are in year 4 of burning and the toys, I mean tools, added up quickly. I keep the spreadsheet to prove to my wife we are in the black.

Saws, splitter, stove, pipe, and the rest of the goodies plus fuel are all included. I've spent a lot and saved roughly $2k in 4 years because I went and bought all that stuff.

The beater truck will be paid off next year, so I can stop hearing about that money pit from the wife.

Next 2 years will be the Kubota.

And then I can buy more toys, I mean tools!

I'll admit to being an overly nerdy woodburner. I keep track of all my wood "costs" and estimated savings in an Excel spreadsheet. We are in year 4 of burning and the toys, I mean tools, added up quickly. I keep the spreadsheet to prove to my wife we are in the black.

Saws, splitter, stove, pipe, and the rest of the goodies plus fuel are all included. I've spent a lot and saved roughly $2k in 4 years because I went and bought all that stuff.

The beater truck will be paid off next year, so I can stop hearing about that money pit from the wife.

Next 2 years will be the Kubota.

And then I can buy more toys, I mean tools!

The kubota should be able to make a major dent in the grocery bills as well, given you get into canning and have freezers, and/or sell surplus.

Stats:

- 3600sf, 2 story house built around 2001 in Central Va
- LP hot water (3 kids taking showers)
- LP only heat, spent average of $5000 on LP from October to May each year for about 5 years
- kept house at 68degF

Installed Central Boiler 5036 (self-installed for about $10,000 total)
burn 10 cords/year

- keep house at 72degF
- kids are now teen agers - shower time has grown exponentially
- never use LP for heat (cooking and DHW in summer) - all heat from the OWB from October-May
- $1000 on LP once every 2-3 years (fill a 500 gal tank - about 400 gals)

The savings is heavy duty in my case. A slam dunk as a matter of fact. I could BUY all my wood and still come out with a strong savings.

Latest posts

Back