Saw a working processor today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So not far from my house there is a small firewood processor set up, the guy had the conveyor going into a dumptruck. I stopped and introduced myself and told them I just wanted to see it in operation.
I was amazed at it's simplistic complexity. One hydraulic pump driven off the front of a Deutz 3 cyl. diesel. the feed chain, splitter, log clamp and bar & chain. All functions have separate control valves. The chain is oiled via a drip line from a tank mounted high. The staging deck didn't have any chain drives but the logs seemed to roll easy enough down into the trough.
I'm not sure what brand it is, there was no immediate marking or logo although the splitter did resemble a Timberwolf and the conveyor was a Timberwolf.
I still want to build one. This is my first time ever seeing one in operation. All in all it was pretty cool. The wood he was running wasn't the best size for a 4 way but he was making good progress with all the re splitting he had to do.

dave

Cool! I have never seen one either.

+1 on deutz air cooled! The tractors I use here got those, dang 0 mighty I'd like one of those in a truck.

+2 on the deutz. We used to run them hard at work. 3cyl, 4cyl, 6cyl. Run forever and easy on fuel. Now we run JDeeres, always breaking down, parts are expensive, and poorest motors I have ever seen on fuel economy. Heck, even the 471, 671 detroits didnt burn fuel like the Deeres. We have a 6cyl deere that burns 4gal hr just on idle.

It might have started as a Timberwolf but right now it is a cobblewolf.:laugh:

Always cool to see what people come up with to get a job done. Maybe we should show it to little o and ask him if they built that?:mad:

Mr. HE:cool:

e7a4a4ud.jpg
6ega6u3y.jpg
egatadym.jpg
. Few weeks ago went to see this blockbuster work,that works sweet. 4 cyl kubota on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

what was the little track hoe (southern term) used for? Did it have a grapple attachment? I couldn't tell from the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the idea of the conveyor loading the dump. We have been tossing the idea around about a processor ourselves.

Well I watched a newer Timberwolf processor in action yesterday. It was pretty slick, very portable. The guy will come to your lot with the processor and a 24' conveyor and process your wood at a reasonable rate. He keeps it busy all the time on weekends.
Sorry I didn't get any pictures.

just wondering, does anyone have a fully automated processor? plc controlled instead of op. controlled? all the op does is load the logs do maint.

yes there is I don't know the name of it the videos I saw were from youtube and it was in England but everything from tiber length to split and in a bag could also do bundles 4 pallets in an hour IIRC

zogger, why oh why did you post that video?? They make it look so simple, I wanna build one. Someday I'm going to build something but I keep changing my plans. I just got my buzz saw, wood splitters and conveyor setup to cut short stuff, I have the OWB now so I want to burn 4' long stuff to cut down on the handling so now I need to redo things. I already have another conveyor that I'm going to somehow design and retrofit to use for 4' long splits that will hopefully elevate them and then drop them into steel crates that I still have to build. I still have 2 years worth of small stuff split and stock piled to use up or maybe sell just so I can keep cutting. And now you go and post this automated thing.. More bad ideas.

zogger, why oh why did you post that video?? They make it look so simple, I wanna build one. Someday I'm going to build something but I keep changing my plans. I just got my buzz saw, wood splitters and conveyor setup to cut short stuff, I have the OWB now so I want to burn 4' long stuff to cut down on the handling so now I need to redo things. I already have another conveyor that I'm going to somehow design and retrofit to use for 4' long splits that will hopefully elevate them and then drop them into steel crates that I still have to build. I still have 2 years worth of small stuff split and stock piled to use up or maybe sell just so I can keep cutting. And now you go and post this automated thing.. More bad ideas.

This is funny but the part I liked best is just the chute at the end and the bag filling. Ya, the rest was fast but meh.... I made my (tip the toe in the waters) last winter bundles with an old I_I shaped computer case and shrinkwrap. When doing bags it is real real realll clunky, as I just hand stuff them. Measure quantity with a five gallon bucket full, plus one split.

Anyway, for you, it doesn't matter, you just like building. Cut 4 foot stuff for you, build the processor to sell 16" or whatever is common in your area indoor stove wood.

edit: oh, for the automated splitter part of the processor, big assembly line with like 18 zogger1's in a row, all whacking away.....

Back