saw abuse!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so this last weekend i had a guy deliver a cord of ash and when he showed up he asked if i wanted it cut shorter than the 6 to 8 foot it was in.
having a outdoor boiler a 3 foot piece is good so i gave him the extra $30 to do it and off he went.
he goes on about his stihl 036 that is a monster and will make short work of this cord and i agree as i have a 036 on the way and a trusty 021 i use alot since the boiler was installed.
well..... he starts up this poor beat saw and i watch as he sputters his way into a log.
I stop him and say that his saw sounds a little bad sounding and if he wants a screwdriver to lean it out a bit.

he said no it is running like a top and he dont mess with them...
I grab my 021 and i guess from reading and learning from you guys i out cut him 3 to 1!!!!
now i was a little dissapointed that a 036 got beat by a 021 but really it didnt have a chance .. my 021 i mean.
first question i ask was what oil he uses and his reply no name 2 stroke from walmart or 10w30 if i run out!!!
chain oil was 80 wt gear oil
chain was dull as he said he uses his bench grinder to do it.
bar was upside down and badly worn.
spark plug was cross threaded at one time and leaking oil..
so why would he do this?????
this saw was junk.
my 021 is by far the best saw i have ever owned and the 036 i have on the way is way more of a saw than my 021 but i can see how a dumbass like this can give a great saw a bad name.
I have a fully stocked shelf with 2 kinds of stihl chain oil and stihl mix oil next to that i have 5 ready to go sharp chains .
I only use premium gas and only mix a gallon at a time so it is fresh.
i keep my saw clean and in a heated shop when i start it i let it warm up a minute or 2 .
reason i do all this is i have a broken lower back and saw work can kick my ass in a short time if i have to fight with a dull chain or poor running saw.

some people????

blows my mind

shayne

bassman said:
chain was dull as he said he uses his bench grinder to do it.

That's probably 95% of the problem.

bassman said:
bar was upside down

My bars spend half their time upside down. Except when the saw goes into the shop for a service. Then it is upside down 100% of the time - just to stop the shop guys from thinking I don't turn it. :)

abuse

seen this stuff all the time there is many like that, if they had a new item it would be junk in a week. They never change same goes for tractor and other equipment. The clasic was a guy who used to dump raw gas in his saw and then add a little oil, (sometimes bar oil) which was often used motor oil. then shake the saw and start it.:jawdrop: :yoyo:

This this the type of guy that comes into the shop and wants to know what's wrong with his saw (for free) so he can take it way and get it fixed by his brother-in-law... sure...

some people!

Neighbor #1 has a large oak limb fall out of tree. Neighbor #2 decides to be a good neighbor and come over and cut it up for him.

The guy gets out a stihl tophandle with a VERY dull chain. He proceeds to saw. The thing is so dull that smoke is coming off of the chain. He is pushing the saw back and forth like a manual saw. He cuts for what seemed like an hour on about 10 cuts in an 8inch log. I know I could have finished the log while he was making the first cut.

Anyway, Several days later, We were hanging around again. (King Of the Hill style), and I offered to sharpen his chain for him with my new "CHEAP CHAIN GRINDER". He says really nicely, No Thanks! All of my chains are sharp.

I would have loved to have said something without hurting his feelings.
How can people NOT realize that something is WRONG!

I think that most of the time people need to SEE a fast cutting saw to believe it. They need to see a sharp chain side-by-side with their dull chain to beleive there's a difference.

My neighbor came over when I was bucking some 24"+ diameter red oak. After I finished cutting he said that the oak was rotted the way my saw went through it, so I grabbed my maul and whacked it: solid as a rock. That was when I started the conversation about square grinding....

daemon2525 said:
He is pushing the saw back and forth like a manual saw. He cuts for what seemed like an hour on about 10 cuts in an 8inch log. I know I could have finished the log while he was making the first cut.

I saw my neighbor doing this and had to stifle a laugh.

His saw technique wasnt the worst thing though. Once he finally got finished he informed me that we were now even for a favor I did for him (get said saw running) and I could have All of His wood that he cut for me.

After witinessing ths sawyer skillz I wasnt about to tell him he was standing in the middle of my yard.:dizzy:

Heard neighbor working away with a saw. Didn't sound right so wandered over. Small XL (don't recall the number) 4 cycling in the cut, never did 2 cycle. I suggested he lean it "no, it's new and will last longer this way".

Harry K

I have worked in saw shops and in the bush for a lot of years and see this kind of stuff all the time. I never cease to be amazed at how many people will rather look stupid than admit they made a mistake. A customer who insisted he knew what he was doing came in with a chain he complained would not cut after the first two passes. He had filed a hook into every cutter, claimed that was how he had always done it, and well into the straps. I showed him a new chain to see the difference and he told me new ones don't cut out of the box.

all this is why a man with a real ability to think ,usually is ahead in most matters
of buisiness.the planet is loaded with those who have a little knowledge
and think they know most everything.

Exactly. The recurring theme seems to be that those who know the least always think they know the most.

But then again, surely a single chain should last the life of the saw. Good Lord, look how fast it's going round and round. Surely it should cut.

Back and forth like a manual saw? That's just too much.

daemon2525 said:
Neighbor #1 has a large oak limb fall out of tree. Neighbor #2 decides to be a good neighbor and come over and cut it up for him.

The guy gets out a stihl tophandle with a VERY dull chain. He proceeds to saw. The thing is so dull that smoke is coming off of the chain. He is pushing the saw back and forth like a manual saw. He cuts for what seemed like an hour on about 10 cuts in an 8inch log. I know I could have finished the log while he was making the first cut.

Anyway, Several days later, We were hanging around again. (King Of the Hill style), and I offered to sharpen his chain for him with my new "CHEAP CHAIN GRINDER". He says really nicely, No Thanks! All of my chains are sharp.

I would have loved to have said something without hurting his feelings.
How can people NOT realize that something is WRONG!

Interesting post there. About 3 weeks ago a little MS180 was returned by a customer who bought it somewhere else. The complaint with the saw was "it smokes too much off the bar and stopped starting". I read it again and thought huh. Saw was 5 days old. It was in a box and the bar and chain was off. I reached in and grabbed the engine and cranked it a few times and felt that sticky feeling through the pull rope, that ut oh sticky feeling. Pulled the muffler off and took a look, sure enough the engine was torched, totally melted piston. It looked like someone had chewed it up with a hacksaw long ways. Knowing the motor was shot I sit it down and reached back in the box and grabbed the chain, totally unbeleiveable. It was so dull and bent up it wouldn't cut air itself and it was totally black. It was so black it looked like it had been painted black from overheating. Quite obvious what had happened to the saw. Made a call to Stihl and explained the situation. They said we'd like to see it before doing anything else. Sent it to them. 3 days later they called and said give the guy a new saw THIS TIME, we're gonna credit you for this one. They said it wasn't worth arguing over and decided to eat it. Everyone wound up happy, guy got what he wanted, I got credit for the saw and Stihl took the loss. Dull bent up chains have fried more saw enignes than probly anything else. From the looks of that mans chain I'd venture to say he ran that saw well over 20 minutes and didn't cut into the wood over a inch. He ran it WOT with smoke pouring off the chain untill it finally overheated and died. Had he bought it from me he would have gotton one of my favorite sayings and saved everyone alot of headache. I always tell every customer I sell a saw to when it won't cut wood cut it off. He's gotton that advice now and hopefully he won't be burning up another saw like that. Dull chains are killers..................

Unfortunately, it seems the ignorance is wide spread. An acquaintance volunteered me for a silver maple removeal at his neighbors without my knowledge. Looked at said tree this thing was HUGE for a tree in our town. 35" across at head level! He tells me it won't be bad I'll help with my brand new 029, yee haw. Finally get the monster dropped and we start cutting, he was limbing with his 029 and I was bucking with my 036, with a 20" bar. After I made two cuts I noticed he was still on his first with smoke rolling out of the cut. Got him shut down and checked out the chain, man that thing was sad looked like he had been using it for a ditch witch! Out came my brand new file and a impromptu class on the finer points of saw maintenance. We lost most of a good chain that day but we saved a 029!

Smokindodgew101 said:
Unfortunately, it seems the ignorance is wide spread. An acquaintance volunteered me for a silver maple removeal at his neighbors without my knowledge. Looked at said tree this thing was HUGE for a tree in our town. 35" across at head level! He tells me it won't be bad I'll help with my brand new 029, yee haw. Finally get the monster dropped and we start cutting, he was limbing with his 029 and I was bucking with my 036, with a 20" bar. After I made two cuts I noticed he was still on his first with smoke rolling out of the cut. Got him shut down and checked out the chain, man that thing was sad looked like he had been using it for a ditch witch! Out came my brand new file and a impromptu class on the finer points of saw maintenance. We lost most of a good chain that day but we saved a 029!

Good job on your part. Its a shame most people don't realize what they are doing to their engine with chains that won't cut. I tell alot of my customers trying to saw wood with a dull chain is just like taking your car and put it in park and hold it to the floor wide open. Some get it , some don't.....

SmithEC said:
Exactly. The recurring theme seems to be that those who know the least always think they know the most.

But then again, surely a single chain should last the life of the saw. Good Lord, look how fast it's going round and round. Surely it should cut.

Back and forth like a manual saw? That's just too much.
hey i like that advatar rt 666 it was also a good movie :yoyo: :jawdrop:

My neighbor wanted a hedge apple taken down so I was cutting it up with his neighbor from the other side. His other neighbor is a single guy early 30s, lives alone, and significantly lacking of personality. I think he had a 440 with a 20 or 24" bar and I had my 288xp with a 32" bar.

He was cutting some 12" size branches and I look over and see a thick cloud of blue smoke the size of an F150 and he is in the middle of his first cut. I was laughing (behind his back) and I had to go over and tell him to turn off the saw. I asked him if he had his chain sharpened recently and he said he did it himself. I asked him how he did it. He said he got a file and filed each tooth so that each part of the tooth was "shiney".

Latest posts

Back