Saw air leaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all at AS.If a saw had a vac leak (not that any of mine have) would one of the first checks be to screw the idle screw right out.If the saw doesnt stop or keep high revs this could be a vac leak right?
I know other problems can cause this but just applying this to vac leaks.
Cheers,Chris.

Usually the first thing I do is check the H and L screws to make sure they're right then I look for maybe some loose engine bolts like the ones holding the carburetor on and the cylinder base bolts. Also, it depends on what kind of chainsaw it is because some saws don't have intake boots or pulse hoses.

Hi all at AS.If a saw had a vac leak (not that any of mine have) would one of the first checks be to screw the idle screw right out.If the saw doesnt stop or keep high revs this could be a vac leak right?
I know other problems can cause this but just applying this to vac leaks.
Cheers,Chris.
I understand your thinking on this but in order to draw fuel from the low side mixture needle, the air has to go down the throat of the carb . If it were leaking at the cylinder base, decomp valve, or impulse hose, it wouldn't draw fuel to keep the saw running. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

It depends on how big the leak is. If it's a crack it could still draw some fuel, just not enough. When you check a saw engine for air leaks you look everywhere.
Agreed. Worst air leak of them all is the crank seals. Doesn't happen very often but when it does, it's a nightmare. Then the whole engine has to be taken down. Many just part out the saw.

Would rather rebuild a saw than part it out.My father was given an 066 for spares that the bloke said was no good.He got it started but very high idle.Checked saw and no seal behind oil pump.The saw would still pick up petrol but couldn't tune it. I split the saw,replaced gasket,bearings and seals.Saw now running good.If I wind the idle screw out saw will stop,so assume no vac leaks (didn't have it vac tested probably my bad).The top of the cylinder was only average but still had 150psi.Will see how it goes.This is why i asked the original question on winding the idle screw out.
Cheers,Chris.

Was given an 015L because they thought I could use it for parts, in about an hour I had it running. Required a carb cleaning and points cleaning and a general washing. I don't parts them out unless there's not much left of them..

Back